Trails End 307

nybuckboy

24 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Much better to keep it fresh from the source. To many great places to get awesome urine scents in in ny state to use some shelf stuff.  I like mine right out of the Tap!

Do you sell any or have you sold any to members here?

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Do you sell any or have you sold any to members here?

No i dont not collect urine from my herd. I have sold a pile of does to collectors in the state. I have givin some urine from those collectors to try. I make my own mix by drawing the fluid out of the Cervix while i artificial breed my does and then mix that with 100% doe in heat drawn while they are in their 58-62 hour breeding window.  When using scent and having great results its all about the Pheromones. Without and you are not really using doe in heat but you are using fresh urine which is better than anything in any shelf bottle.

• Like 1

Trails End was good when it was sold in glass.  All of this stuff that has any pee in it overtime creates some ammonia.  That takes on the smell of the plastic they now sell it it.  The bigger companies went this way because its cheaper than glass with less breakage on shelf which is what the big retailers want.  Trails End is a mix of doe pee, beaver caster, and earth scents (a lot of acorn).  

If you stick to a quality low volume scent from a reputable farm that is CDW safe you'll be fine (not Code Blue IMO).  Use a  regular doe pee and some doe and fawn interdigital gland blend.  It will keep doe calm and help them gather throughout the pre season.  Doe are very habitual so if they say calm now they will likely get comfortable browsing and traveling through the scent corridor you create.  

You can try something like James Valley Extacy paste.  Apply it wearing gloves with a q-tip to the underside of branches in blowdown that are just off primary runs and where they feed/browse.  Try to think of your area and where bedding areas are.  The runs too and from those area are good travel corridors.  Less is more is the key. Deer smell 600 times better than we do.  So you won't need a lot of it and if you oversell the area with scents you will spook them away.  If you can faintly smell the stuff, you've done well enough.  In about three weeks from now make a few small scrapes a few feet off those runs using the same stuff or the liquid form, again don't load up the scrapes with this stuff a faint smell is all you need.  Put a camera on that scape area if you can.  When you hold does now you will bring chasing bucks later.  It is very predictable, hold doe in an area and watch rubs stop popping up there as well come mid to late Sept.

Wear rubber boots in and out of those spots.  I spray my boots down with an earth scent specifically on the soles and toes.   Every pee based scent, over time, will start to get a bit of ammonia.  Best bet, store it in a the fridge when your not using it.  If you do get a bit of ammonia smell, open the top and let it float off for a day at room temp, then reseal the bottle/jar.  I've had the same jar of James Valley Full Draw for a few seasons now, it smells as good as it did the day it showed up.  

Last though on doing this, be mindful of the wind in these areas.  If you have a runs that coverage from different angles you'd want to try for a spot like that and set your stand off it like 30 yards with clear shooting lanes.  Wind makes of break scents corridors.  A shift in the wind with only one way to or from bedding area and your done.  Lay in your sent at the convergence of that angle with a clear line of sight and your'll be trimming silver skin off backstops by lunch time!  

Sorry for the long post.  Hope it helps, and check this out:

http://www.jamesvalleycompany.com/Quality-Buck-Lures-s/1826.htm

Edited by eagle rider