Doing My Part To Open Eyes

DirtTime

Since I have been back to hunting with guns, and this world wide frenzy that guns are bad, I have the opportunity to get people who aren't fully against guns, but don't see a need for them aside from hunting to open their eyes.

I have explained how to handle a pistol or long gun to people who were on the border, but never even held one.

I am going to give an example. Since buying my M&P and my g/f learning they aren't the big bad guns politically stupid and flat out stupid people think they are. She loves it, enjoys shooting it, and has no issue with me buying another in a larger caliber. As long as it is in the budget.

Yesterday, we had our house warming. One of our friends who was totally against any "assault weapon" asked to see the rifle. So, I took it out, removed the empty mag, racked it back, and handed it to her. She admitted it didn't look or feel scary in person. Then, I took the mag and bolt out of my .25-06 and l let her hold that as well. Her exact words. "I like the first one better.".

My bro, who had a huge issue with the M&P was also around for the first time since I bought it. He's no anti, but said the M&P was overkill. I sent him pics of bullets and stats from different caliber AR style rifles, and he apologized. Yesterday, I did the same, took out the mag, racked it back and let him hold it. Now, he wants to shoot it.

It only takes knowledge, and a willingness to be polite and show people in person that things aren't what they seem from media and politicians. Since May, I have converted three anti "assault weapon" people into realizing they aren't assault weapons, just rifles that look different. If more people would be proactive about physically showing and informing people about things maybe we would have more new hunters, less anti's, and not have politicians making up BS laws!

I am not just talking AR platform, I am talking all guns. Know someone who might be against them or on the fence ( we all do ). Take some time and explain and teach them. An hour of your time might result in less stupidity in lame gun control laws.

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 5

Most people receive all they know about the AR platform in movies and the occasional news article that probably describes it wrong, so it's definitely an uphill battle.

I only bought my first gun a couple years ago. My wife had yet to shoot it or any gun at all. I may have made a mistake introducing her not to a .22 semi rifle first (which has as much kick as a nerf gun), but instead taking her to an indoor range in another state and shooting pistols. It went as she expected but she realized how much power they have. May put my hints to let me get a pistol permit in delay by a while.^_^

AR is tricky because it looks like a badass movie rifle and I've seen first hand people respond to it in that manner, even people who either own a shotgun or regularly shoot clay. But I've also yet to meet a guy who doesn't thoroughly enjoy shooting one. I also cannot think of another rifle capable of taking down deer that is also so soft in recoil.

The thing with Armilite framed rifles is the interchangibility of cartridges. With a couple of buttons you can change from a 223 to a 7.62x39 and many other rounds. Makes the cost of owning multiple caliber firearms less bc the platform is the same. Another thing to point out is when talking about them correct them on the term AR. It's not assult rifle it's Armilite the manufacture who first produced them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Most people use the term AR, I think more or less it's like people who like the .30-06 call it the "ought 6". But, I agree, it's not the correct term. I try to say AR STYLE when talking, I don't always. Like I keep saying though, when the only factual ( I use factual very loosely here ) information you have is from the media, you cannot make a rational decision about anything, not just guns. The way the world has been for a long time if 100 people say it's bad, then it must be bad. Doesn't matter if 50,000,000 say it's not. It's about fitting in and going with the "crowd".

The huge thing I try to explain to people is that they are no more dangerous then any other rifle of the same caliber or a handgun loaded with 15+1. 

• Like 1

They should have a shooting team and a gun class in every school as education is key, I have introduced several non hunters to shooting , they all enjoy it. Some buy their own and go to ranges. Amd admit the fear.of the unknown was the thing they needed to overcome

• Like 3