thor bullets

sbuff

I bought a CVA Wolf in .50 cal.  inline (209 primer) with a 3x9 Tasco on it.

Can I get some suggestions as to what type and weight bullet and the type of powder I should be using to achieve my best results?

Do I want to go with a really heavy bullet ? And max out the powder charge? 100-150 grains? More?

I always shoot from a rest, or use a bipod. I can't hold steady any more without it.

I figure it is better for me to ask here, rather than just go at it blind.

Thanks in advance, Bill

I would like to start off by saying.........................Never, never exceed the recommended max. powder charge set my the manufacturer. Personally, I have never come close to the max. loads in any of my muzzleloaders(I own 6 now) Aside from my Salvage ML10II which uses smokeless powder, I average between 90 - 110 grs pending on the rifle/bullet combo I am using.

In my T/C Omega, I currently use 3/30 gr pyrodex pellet with a 260 gr. t/c lead hollow point sabot. As soon as I use up the pellets, I am going back to loose powder. IMO, it burns better and I will be able to fine tune my loads better by adding/subtracting powder for the optimal load combo.

There is such a thing as over charging a bullet and pushing it down range faster than it is capable of performing and getting horrible results....................max. loads don't always mean better killing power if the bullet doesn't work like it's supposed to.

An other thing to look at is the rate of twist your barrel has and what style and weigh of bullet shoots best with that twist..................it can/will effect the accuracy of a bullet if not compatible.

I would suggest starting at @ 90 grs of powder with a 300 gr. bullet and see how it shoots, increase the powder by 5 grs after a few shots and see if it effects the groupings (ex: tighter or opens up) if opening up, return back to the previous load charge as that is probably the sweet spot for that rifle/bullet combo.

FDXX75

It is nice to say MU plug without getting kicked off as Nick and I were the first to get banned for saying it on GBO.He has a newer version plug now out with a little more meat on the head.I just spoke to him and got another one.It is the only plug that will work 100% of the time with BH209.

1973 Hawken ,just getting broke in,like it .......Are you using a fiber wad for the no excuses or not?? My TC renegade is I think ' 84...Actually it was a kit gun when TC made them.In todays day and age,it was nice to find No Excuses for such a fair price.

I was the moderator of that forum until all that happened then I resigned.

No, I'm not using a wad..I just dump the powder, settle it with a couple of raps of my hand, and then seat the bullet..With the NE bullets I don't even use a short starter...

Pygmy, have you ever used t7 pellets with the n e bullets, if so how were the results?  thanks

Never tried the pellets..My rifle is an old sidelock TC Hawken with #11 caps, and I would worry about getting good ignition with the pellets...

I have always got reliable ignition with loose 2F black powder or Pyrodex..A few years ago I switched to Triple 7 and I thought the ignition was little sluggish with 2F.. I switched to 3F Triple 7 and CCI Magnum caps and that fixed the problem....

I'm sending you a PM....

Sbuff & Bubba, question do you guys feel that this Mu pulg is nessary to shoot with the Bh 209 loose powder ? And also is there a problem getting 100% ignition with the 209 bh powder? I ordered some 50/460 no excuses bullets & they claim better accuracy with loose powder. Seems I have read of the problem of bad igintion on other sites. I want to get things set up for a bear hunt. Have you guys ever looked at "frontier muzzleloading" web site they have some good info. there.  thanks

If you have an H&R muzzleloder it is a necessity to get the mu plug if you want to shoot bh209.  With any muzzleloader, you will need a 209 breech plug and and it has to be a sealed one.  If you go to there website, it explains more about it  www.blackhorn209.com  There are a lot of good points to the mu plug even if you do not want to shoot bh209.  As far as I am concerned, it is a great upgrade for the H&R muzzleloader.  I hav ebeen shooting ot since last spring and I have not had one ignition problem with bh 209 in any of my inlines.

THe MU plug is a MUST if you want to shoot BH209.You won't go back.I can't shoot the 460gr no excuses and get clover leafs all day long.You might want to try the 300 and 350gr FPB from Hornady,another great bullet for that muzzle loader.Nick from metrics unlimitted does have a new plug with more meat on the head.It really is a must have for the NEF muzzle loaders..Bubba and my self can not say nothing but good about it.BH209 is $$ but worth it.You can shoot loose or pellets of T7 or Pryodex and still get great groups with the no excuses.

Yes I have seen that sight,if you search on line you will see people have issues with Frontere Gander or Mountain Devil as he goes by.I don't know him,but know he is big into CVA and there products.You should do a search or check out other forums if you want muzzle loader advice{ IMO}.The best sight I have found is modern muzzle loader.