thor bullets

sbuff

WWW.Thorbullets.com

I have spoken to Terry the owner on the phone and via email,but have yet to try them on game......They are a little more then the FPB and a decent amount more then no excuses. I hope to try some soon.I just got some more no excuses,just waiting for the temp to get above 20 degree's to shoot some.Cabin fever kicking in

Yea that is my thoughts too,a little $$ for me.I am glad NY has not said can't use lead bullets yet for Muzzle loaders.Atleast not that I am aware of.I will probably stick to my two favorites bullets of the FPB and the No Excuses..

but I do still wonder how those those will work on game,I have heard great results.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bunch of muzzle loader,TC renegade,TC X7,2 white super 91-11,NEF heritage which is the same as a sidekick.The sidekick has been my go to gun because it shoots clover leafs with anything I stuff  down it.

The TC X7 is going to be my 2011 gun this year.

Hunter49: If your using power belts I would look at Hornady FPB for your hunstman,they shoot lights out in my sidekick with the MU plug and a hubbards ram rod....Or even the no excuses,there are far better choices IMO out there.

Pygmy: what are you shooting the No Excuses out of ?

I am shooting the Noexcuses 460 grain .50 cal. in my 1973 vintage TC Hawken...

They load really easy and group 2-3" off the bench at 100 yards  with 80 grains of Triple F 777..

I used to shot PRBs, but wanted a heavy conical for a Colorado elk hunt.. The Noexcuses perform so well that since my elk hunt in 2004 I have used them for deer also..

I  have a tang peep sight on my Hawken and have never taken a shot over 75 yards at game, but the NE conical shoots surprisingly flat out to 150 yards from the bench..Further than I would shoot at game with iron sights..

Hunter49: If your using power belts I would look at Hornady FPB for your hunstman,they shoot lights out in my sidekick with the MU plug and a hubbards ram rod....Or even the no excuses,there are far better choices IMO out there.

Pygmy: what are you shooting the No Excuses out of ?

isnt it nice to be on a site where you can  mention the mu plug and not be deleted or kicked off.  I love the mu plug for my sidekick.  I would recommend it to anyone.  I have a sidekick that I have had fir about 6 years. I got it for my father in law for fathers day. he shot it a few times and before deer season, passed away, so I got it back. I am sorry I am stealing the thread, but I just cant say enough good things about the H&R muzzleloaders. I have that a t/c impact encore and hawken.  I want to harvest a deer with the sidekick to honor my fil.  Then probally will give it to my neohew whos grandfather it used to belong to. 

It is nice to say MU plug without getting kicked off as Nick and I were the first to get banned for saying it on GBO.He has a newer version plug now out with a little more meat on the head.I just spoke to him and got another one.It is the only plug that will work 100% of the time with BH209.

1973 Hawken ,just getting broke in,like it .......Are you using a fiber wad for the no excuses or not?? My TC renegade is I think ' 84...Actually it was a kit gun when TC made them.In todays day and age,it was nice to find No Excuses for such a fair price.

Its a custom made breech plug for the New England Firearms muzzle loaders,the huntsman,sidekick and heritage.They are made in the USA out of Michigan.Metrics Unlimitted is the company name.Nick Allen is the fellow who made them,several people have tested them.It will allow you to shoot BH2009 with 100% ignition...

I bought a CVA Wolf in .50 cal.  inline (209 primer) with a 3x9 Tasco on it.

Can I get some suggestions as to what type and weight bullet and the type of powder I should be using to achieve my best results?

Do I want to go with a really heavy bullet ? And max out the powder charge? 100-150 grains? More?

I always shoot from a rest, or use a bipod. I can't hold steady any more without it.

I figure it is better for me to ask here, rather than just go at it blind.

Thanks in advance, Bill

I don't have a CVA wolf,if you can shoot BH209 I would use that.You may have to drill the flash hole out a little to make it work with that powder.I am not 100% sure thought.A call to CVA could tell you.

You don't need 150gr or three pellets.Guys all the time do a max charge and there really is no advantage.I would start with two pellets,either Triple 7 or Pryodex to get 100grains.If your using loose start with about 70-80 gr.There are all different brands of powder.I myself like Swiss,BH209 and triple 7 pellets.If you use T7 you will get whats called a crud ring down around the breech plug.A simple cleaning with some windex will clean the barrel super clean.You might notice it harder to load after each shot as the crud will get built up.

As for bullets,I like the Hornady 350gr FPB and 460gr No Excues.I think that Wolf has a tight .501 diameter,maybe a .502.You could try some 250gr Hornady SST,I know guys that use this combo with good results.Or even the TC supergildes in the same 250gr.The Barnes style sabots are top notch and I have heard nothing but Good about them.I know Power Belts are sold every where and are easy to load,but the performance on game is not that good.Yes people get deer with them,but I have proofed them and they perform by far the worst out of any bullet.The Thor bullets are good,but a little $.I guess if its a trophy of a life time $ doesn't matter as long as the bullet does the job.

I do not have a cva I use either. I have an optima elite, but my neohew has claimed it. It has the 50 cal and 270 barrel.  The breech plug is exactly the same as the wolf.  It shoots 90 grains of bh209 with a winchester w209 primer with positive ignition every time.  I use a harvester green crush rib sabot with hornady xtp 44 (430 dia) bullet.  They shoot very well and are great on deer. I personally have  used the shockwave 250s. I shot a 6 point at 45 yards and the bullet hit the opposite shoulder and never began to open up. That was with 90 of bh209.  I literally could have loaded it in another sabot and shot it.  I like the xtp's as I buy them in a box of 100 for 25 bucks and another 15 for sabots. 40 bucks for 100 shots is decent. The wolf is a good shooter, and I doubt you will have problems with bh209.

It is nice to say MU plug without getting kicked off as Nick and I were the first to get banned for saying it on GBO.He has a newer version plug now out with a little more meat on the head.I just spoke to him and got another one.It is the only plug that will work 100% of the time with BH209.

1973 Hawken ,just getting broke in,like it .......Are you using a fiber wad for the no excuses or not?? My TC renegade is I think ' 84...Actually it was a kit gun when TC made them.In todays day and age,it was nice to find No Excuses for such a fair price.

No, I'm not using a wad..I just dump the powder, settle it with a couple of raps of my hand, and then seat the bullet..With the NE bullets I don't even use a short starter...

• 2 weeks later...