Hunting with fmj

Chef

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I fired about 100 rounds of Rem corelocts through my Garand and it suffered a bent op rod... I bought it used ( of course) and I have NO idea how many factory loads the previous owner fired through it before I got it...The op rod may have previously been bent and straightened , after which they tend to eventually bend again..  The issue is that many factory loads use slower burning powders with a longer pressure curve than the medium burning powders that the M1 was designed for....

I now reload for mine, using a load that duplicates the original load the M1 was designed for.

The 5 shot en bloc clips are fine.  If an overzealous fish cop gives you a hard time about them, tell him to kiss your ass. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to have any standard 8 round clips in your pocket, however...<<grin>>....

Sounds to me like your best bet is to find a gunshop that will order the Amax stuff for you.

Not sure if you looked into it but do they make a stronger aftermarket op rod or is is because of the small diameter of the rod why it bends?

Cheif i read somewhere they have a upgrade for the m1 gerand to shoot modern ammo. There is a company on li ny that specializes in garands give them a call the name is oreino i could be spelling it wrong sorry

Heres the website http://www.m1garand.com

Edited by hawkenwoodsman