'Natural' ground blind advice

OldNewbie

Both yesterday and today I got 'made' by a doe leading her yearlings up the trail toward two different ground blinds I was in. First time I dozed off in a chair and woke up with mama deer doing a 'what the heck is that?!' head bob about 5 yards away. My head and upper body was exposed so I froze, then slowly slid off chair to cover when she wasn't looking. They retreated slowly, not at run, tails flicking but full up.

This morning I was in a nearby different blind, sitting in a chair, not moving (awake this time) and out of nowhere I hear a deer not far away blow/snort 5 times in a row, while it moved away. I got in a crouch and watched three deer maybe 30-40 yards away slowly browsing along. I stood up next to a tree to get a better look and I hear 'stamp, stamp, stamp'. Dang it!  Made again.

My blinds are natural blinds built around/between live trees, using deadfalls and some fresh pine and oak branches with leaves to add cover. Day 1 blind also has some camo fabric along the inside.

Now I know I could switch to a tree stand, or a popup blind and both would be a big improvement in terms of providing better cover. But I am curious if anyone else hunts 'natural' blinds and if so, do you have any suggestions?

P.S. could I have been scented? I've taken all the usual precautions against that, and no wind to speak of either day.

I am trying to post photos of the two blinds..

Blind 1.JPG

Blind 2.JPG

Edited by OldNewbie
pics added

I like and have used natural corral type ground blinds just made from limbs and branches a lot, and they were very similar to your photos. The sides had enough branches and limbs packed tight enough so I would not be seen looking through the walls. I would put them up well before season so the Deer in the area would have plenty of time to get used to them. I would have the sides high enough so sitting down I could peer over the top easily. Mine were quite large so I could duck down move around easily to different positions with the ground raked clean of anything noisy and with several places to sit and watch from covering all directions. I killed a lot of Deer from those ground blinds. 

From what you are describing I would say the Deer are catching your scent and getting spooked and that is all about the wind direction and it does not take much of a breeze. I do not believe that is anything you can do if the scent from the blind is blowing to the Deer's direction except having another blind in the same area that is in a different spot putting the wind in your favor which is something I would do if I could.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Been using big built blinds for years I have plastic yard chair in them...difference is I make them to cover just the front and sides...the backs are built up way higher than my head when seated. I have had deer and Turkey walk up just a couple of feet from me and look.over the front and not notice me sitting in the chair. I sit in them when the wind is to the front or sides of blind and expected movement coming from those directions.

Your silhouette is one of r most important parts. If they can get your outline your in trouble! Make sure you have something behind you as well as In Front the best way I have found to do this is lean pine branches into the front and back of them. You loose some shooting but it makes it way harder for a deer to pick up your outline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost impossible to fool a wise old doe. Smartest deer in the woods is a doe with fawns, imo. As far as scent goes, get yourself a 3$ wind checker... See what it says. Again, just imho, I hate being on the ground unless it's on the edge of a field with a significant predominant wind.

• 2 weeks later...