Grey Fox

greybeard

Hecksher Park has red & greys. When my son worked in the park, he said they den up under the pool in the filter room every winter. I think there is a den off the highway as well, cause I've seen them 'cruising' the road at odd hours of night in one section..

Heckshire !!!  I'm glad to hear that. I've  only seen reds in the park, but then again I never saw a gray on L.I.

I always figured that if greys were still on L.I. that they should be in the coop at Ridge. I never asked out there though.

I know they used to have a few fox because a number of years ago sometimes my coonhound would run one (unfortunately). I guess I never thought of it then and just assumed that she was running a red. I'll never know.

I'm glad to hear eyewitness reports.

And the white fox, who can figure that one.

Thanx to all

I've never seen anything other than red. I was fortunate to stay at Queens College Center at Caumsett State Park when I was studying at queens college. We slept on the first floor of the main house and at night would go outside, We saw deer and fox every time we took a walk on the grounds at night. Unfortunately Queens College no longer has the center there. :(

Karpteach.. no, not for a few years....That turned out to be my mistake last year.

When I used to go, I had the empire pass, and at that time you could fish in the day for free. Without the empire pass, unless you were 62, you'd have to pay the entrance fee.( I don't need one now, except if I go on weekends)

You needed the fishing pass at night even then.

I was "told" by some fishermen that now, even in the day, you need the fishing pass. The pass, I believe is $25.They only issue a limited number.. I think 250... They run out real quick.

I never verified that the pass is now needed in the day to fish so I can't tell you for sure.

I could have gone with guys  that I know last year, but they were goin' at night and I'm not as young as I used to be and just don't fish at night anymore.