Philipstown 3N

bruno1

13 minutes ago, brownclown said:

while not directly familiar with philpstown I do hunt in the 3N (Putnam/southern dutchess county) area regularly. I wouldn't say it is "known" for big bucks. I would say the average "nice" buck is around 100inch. with very rare 120+ class.

100% agree. Anything over 100" around here is a nice one!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I've spent a bit of time in the Fahnstock area, with some good success.  Brow tines seem to be few and far between, but good body size, generally.  Racks aren't going to break the record books, but it's not easy hunting so you will have to "earn" your keep and thus anything you harvest will be a trophy.  You will need to change strategies if you are used to hunting in more Ag dominated regions; not many corn or bean fields in Phillipstown...in fact there are none.  You will also need lots of patience...ready back through some of Biz-R-OWorld's Journals. 

• Like 1

I just got permission to hunt a piece in Philipstown area and was curious if this area is known for producing big bucks? Thanks in advance

I use to hunt Canada Hill in Garrison back in the mid to late 80's. Saw plenty of big bucks and many doe. Access then and now is tough. Surrounded by private property. Parts are also off limits on the Appalachian Trail.

I now mainly hunt Fahnenstock Park in Kent and Putnam Valley. Seen some nice bucks there over the years also. Managed to take a 12 point that scored over 120 in 1997.

IMG_1524.JPG.4ab429c599e95b14de9fbbb7be9IMG_1579.JPG.2793a34d8e889c0eced11c73e6eIMG_1528.JPG.45994d8b08877faa389cc077b24.
  • Like 5

I use to hunt Canada Hill in Garrison back in the mid to late 80's. Saw plenty of big bucks and many doe. Access then and now is tough. Surrounded by private property. Parts are also off limits on the Appalachian Trail.

I now mainly hunt Fahnenstock Park in Kent and Putnam Valley. Seen some nice bucks there over the years also. Managed to take a 12 point that scored over 120 in 1997.

IMG_1524.JPGIMG_1579.JPGIMG_1528.JPG.

That 12pt is sweet. My dad has a good handful of 100"-120" bucks from 3N, but he puts a ton of time in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
I just got permission to hunt a piece in Philipstown area and was curious if this area is known for producing big bucks? Thanks in advance
There are good bucks in philipstown cold spring garrison area. There are many 100-120 inch bucks shot there every year . Good luck

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I used to hunt behind "Grandma's Kitchen Kettle" and the rock quarry a little south of that. Saw lots of does but never any bucks. I'm sure their there......good luck. Fox Studios is right down the road if you get a big one.
I used to own the deli across the street from fox studio.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk