Curious about age of my deer.

Bionic

For some reason I never wondered how old my deer was.  I was always too excited thar age never really crossed my mind.

Estimates? 

He was weighed at the taxidermist at 175 lbs dressed, for whatever thats worth.

Zone 3k Sullivan County, no farms, just forest.

Thanks!

IMG_4463.PNG

So hard to tell just seeing the head. Cause I've seen older deer with smaller headgear and nice up and comers with above normal antlers. But the body don't lie! It is much easier to judge age by body size and shape. That being said, to answer your question about your beautiful buck, two and a half, "maybe" three and a half, would be my guess.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Thank you,. Interesting, he seems so gray to me, does gray/white hair tend to kick in at a certain age of a deer?  

Also any idea why some deer have the toupee(wig) look and some dont? 

It can but that's a normal amount of grey...even fawns will have grey hair. As far as the toupee, I have always wondered my self. 

Yup, I agree with AT after sering the pic's, he is a beautiful two and a half year old buck. To a degree, genetics play a role in deer coloration. Just like some people have light or darker hair. I've seen deer from very dark to almost a total grey color with their winter coats. Regardless of his age you have taken a very nice buck! Congratulations to you sir!

• Like 2