Are you going in TOO deep..?

wooly

18 hours ago, Elmo said:

Sometimes I feel if I don't hike deep enough than it simply wasn't enough of an adventure for me.  I didn't "escape" enough.

I tend to climb my way deeper onto and even over the hill for this reason. I do want to get in deeper just to enhance the quality of the hunt. I don't want to listen to the cars streaming by. I don't want to hear the neighbors arguing. I don't want to listen to the neighbor's do barking its head off. I don't want to hear car doors slamming. I head up to a very picturesque area that we call the "Dark Woods", a very dense, old-growth hemlock woods around a very deep ravine at the rear of my property. It is just a very nice quiet and very "wild" looking area that is completely different from the thickets and swamps down around the house.

hill04.JPGhill03.JPGhill05.JPG

I do it simply because it enhances the hunt regardless of whether I am successful or not. As Elmo said....there is something to the idea that I have "escaped enough".

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

The areas I hunt I get to know pretty well so actual distance never much came into play as long as I thought I could get any Deer I happened to be lucky enough to take out of the woods by myself if need be.

I try to evaluate the weather (mostly wind) and the hunter pressure of an area I hunt and will head to a place in my mind that will provide me with the best chance of seeing a Deer in range to take a shot. Sometimes it could be a fairly close walk, other times I would take a hike.

Al

Edited by airedale