Snow Sets

Salmon_Run

Maybe I could get a little guidance on this topic. Over the weekend we experienced a winter storm at my area and had over a foot of snow in about 8 hours. The snow was wet and then was followed by below freezing temperatures.

My question is how can I make productive ground sets for coyote when the weather is changing so drastically and deal with the heavy snow?

I greatly appreciate any help from you guys.

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hay sets.  Get a bale of hay. Cut up a little into finer pieces to put over trap pan. Make a two foot long or so little wall about 8" high. Sprinkle some more a few square feet on down wind side of wall to cover ground. Put into 2 decent sized foot holds into the hay you spread. No bedding required   Using the scissor cut hay gently cover traps. Doesn't need to cover completely. Little dab of lure and a shot of fox or coyote urine up against inside of wall. If you can put a dab of call lure up higher to let that scent drift   Killer curiosity set. You catch one , rebuild. The more scent the better. When creeks freeze this set is dynamite. You can use earth anchors thru ice. Drill hole , insert earth anchor making sure the grabber turns sideways under the ice. It refreezes solid. Hope this helps. Google hay sets for further help if needed   These will only freeze up if we get rain and then below freezing temps. Fully operational under new snow if not much. Dust off snow if needed 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

All of what TF said is what I try. I am a late December thru close trapper so snow is almost always there. I think it's easier. I also try to set where the wind helps keep the snow out. Like behind drifts and under trees. I've been watching some of Jeff Dunlap YouTube videos and have talked to him and watched live demos of trapping k9s in snow. If I get alot of snow overnight I dig my traps out and start over constantly chasing my sets deeper and deeper I'd needed. A little snow shovel helps alot. Also when snow gets that crust on top can bed traps in that and then cover with some powder. 1 other set I try is if I know not much new snow is comming for a few days I will dig a 10 foot Dia circle and bed trap in middle with a small backing and make it look like something exploded with some strong food scent. Once they get hungry enough I think they will come to just about anything.

One other trick 8f worked about freezing is wax dirt or peat moss in bed and as covering and to use driver to put a 18 in or so deep hole directly under trap to let water sink into that instead of pool with trap

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guys,

Thank you both so much; I am learning along with my 10 year old the art of trapping.

We were in the "deep woods" consisting of open hardwoods and mixed swamp areas. We set traps along the edge/border of an old cut field and wood roads in the hardwoods.

The deep snow really hampered our activities as it was deep and wet.

Thanks again and stay safe...

Dan  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If you only have K9s working through every few days you could make a line of scent posts on known travel lanes. Use a gland lure or urine. You don't even have to set traps at every post, you just want to spark their territorial nature. They will frequent the area more knowing that they have intruders on their territory.

The same can be done with flat sets. They will resemble turkey scratching and may confuse trap shy K9s. To do this you'll make clusters of 4-5 small mock sets but only set traps in 1 or 2 per cluster and don't put bait/lure in all the scratchings. Sometimes thinking outside the box will put fur in your shed.
Good luck guys. I'm on the sidelines again this year due to not having much time to trap

• Like 2