New Rifle - 25/06 Rem vs 257 wby

DanD

I bet not many. There is a reason why some cartridges are more popular in certain geographical locations. When I lived down south 25-06 was more popular than a 308 or a 30-30. Out west I know the wby mags are very popular and understandably their shots average much further than ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Portions of Livingston and Genesee are ideal for them....orleans will added and is another big ag area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone should practice at any range they plan to hunt and with any weapon they plan to use for that purpose.

If I can take 3-5 shots a summer at the longest range I intend to shoot, have a consistent outcome to realist desire- I'm good. 4 shots a year is a box of ammo every 5.

I do shoot a lot of rim fire at close ranges to keep my shooting form true...but do not shoot more than 3-5 shots with any other hunting rifle unless on a kick to do so.

It just seems every 25-06 owner thinks the 257wby is the same as their gun with pinstripes..... um no.

Proficiency has different meanings to different individuals.

Depending on the longest range you intend on shooting you may be proficient.

Me personally I love to shoot. I have probably shot my #1 deer rifle 300+ shots since season ended.

• Like 1

If you want to spend the $$ to shoot targets, by all means get the 257wby.  For whitetail deer hunting anywhere around here, the 25-06 will do the same job.  I wouldn't take either one out West.  The 257wby is great, but it's not ultra special or magic.  Just like a Weatherby owner to get all haired out about the comparison.  I get the concept of a collectible and high end craftmanship, but a rifle is just a tool to get a job done.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

If you want to spend the $$ to shoot targets, by all means get the 257wby.  For whitetail deer hunting anywhere around here, the 25-06 will do the same job.  I wouldn't take either one out West.  The 257wby is great, but it's not ultra special or magic.  Just like a Weatherby owner to get all haired out about the comparison.  I get the concept of a collectible and high end craftmanship, but a rifle is just a tool to get a job done.

In your opinion...

• Like 1

Proficiency has different meanings to different individuals.

Depending on the longest range you intend on shooting you may be proficient.

Me personally I love to shoot. I have probably shot my #1 deer rifle 300+ shots since season ended.

Agreed.

To me, that's a target gun you hunt with. Lol