Who still shoots feathers?

NonTypical

• 2 weeks later...

I have fought with feather for a long time. I had a couple batches just sluff off the arrow. I mean you would sit there and they would just drop off in the quiver!! Cant have that so I started searching and found Fletch Tape. Stuff works wonders. I clean the arrow with rubbing alcohol then throw the flecthing on. I then usually take duco cement and run it down the feathers for added reassurance.   You can make your feather fancy if you want! These are for my daughter.

20151009_183522-1_resized.jpg

Edited by biggamefish
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

So I finally got around to fletching a couple of arrows using wraps on my shaft. So far so good. I'm going to try a few different wraps and glues to see what works best for me. I must say that the Bitz jig is really a well made tool and I wish that I had bought one years ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NonTypical said:

So I finally got around to fletching a couple of arrows using wraps on my shaft. So far so good. I'm going to try a few different wraps and glues to see what works best for me. I must say that the Bitz jig is really a well made tool and I wish that I had bought one years ago. 

I can assure you that both gorilla super gel and Loctite super gel will adhere such that to remove the feather, you have top rip that part of the wrap off.  They stick for sure.  I have never had a feather fall off with either and I don't do any special prep on the wrap.  Wrap, put feather in jig, add glue, hold in place for 20 seconds and on to the next.  Give the arrows a couple of hours to dry.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I made up a few more arrows without the wraps using gorilla glue gel. That is some tough stuff, and I thought for sure that i wouldn't have any issues. I guess not. They peeled right off after being out in the rain one day. 

So it's safe to say that I will be using wraps from now on with feathers on my aluminum shafts. I was concerned about adding more weight with the wraps. I was using 5" feathers so I went down to 4" instead. They seem to fly just as good.