Muzzleloading Help

lungshot1971

Make sure you mark your ramrod when you load the first shot. That way you'll know that your seating the next ones all the way down. After a few shots you won't be able to because of the above mentioned crud. I shoot the Jim Shockey Gold pellets and can shoot about four times before I can no longer seat the bullet and have to clean. Powders vary you just have to experiment. Is your breech removable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It would depend on the powder more then the sabot . I've gone 6 shots with out cleaning the barrel and had adverse effect on shot placement using that Blackhorn 209 powder. Check to see if your gun can shoot the stuff.

I used to fire up to 20 shots on the completion line using a spit (or other water based lube) patch and 60gr of GOEX fffG black powder.That was either in my percussion or flintlock mountain rifle.

As you pointed out, when the mark on the ramrod got to about 1/4" from the muzzle, the breech would be cleaned. No removable breech plug either. A breech plug scraper would be employed to clean the face of the breech plug.

Edited by wildcat junkie

your problem is going to be a ring of crud that forms by the breech end of the barrel.if your range allows you to clean your gun it's no big deal just a pita.what gun did you pick up?
i never shot power bullets so i have no idea if that statement is true.

A CVA optima with nitride finish

Make sure you mark your ramrod when you load the first shot. That way you'll know that your seating the next ones all the way down. After a few shots you won't be able to because of the above mentioned crud. I shoot the Jim Shockey Gold pellets and can shoot about four times before I can no longer seat the bullet and have to clean. Powders vary you just have to experiment. Is your breech removable?

Yes supposed to be able to remove easily by hand