No Till Plot

I'm looking for some good feedback on different no till seed out there.  I'm looking to plant 2 plots on my hunting property that is all wooded with mostly hard woods with pines sprinkled in.  In one area there is, not so much a clearing but an area where the prior owner dropped quite a few trees, allowing for a good amount of light to get through the tops of the trees (pictures posted).  The other area is pretty well wooded with obligatory light reaching through the tops.  My question is, has anyone had success in similar conditions with a particular product, and/or are there any suggestions based off of previous results you've experienced?  Look forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions, thanks in advance.

20161017_094544.jpg

20161017_094541.jpg

Throw and grow seeds are junk, its mainly only a ryegrass that will grow and that is not what you want in a plot. ive used it way back in the day in a spot like this, it did grow some sort of grass and did kill a doe off it but knowing what i do now.. dont buy it(or any evolved harvest blend IMO) 

Also, im not 100% on this but if those are dead fern plants in the picture, your ph is probably quite low. For small plots get a couple white and red clovers and an oat, wheat to plant.

But id cut a few more trees down on the edge and in the center.. 

or plant some trees that will produce in there..

A good friend of mine plated radishes and had really good results but I'm not sure how well they would work in the woods.  and as for the ferns, that picture was taken in late fall last year so that might have played into it, either way i planned on throwing down lime to be sure.  Thanks for the input

For a small plot like that, I'd stick with your clovers and chicory especially once the soil is tested and lived appropriately. Plant something they can eat but will regrow in a smaller area. IMO.. brassica plants will get wiped out before season unless you cage them in and open it for bow season lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great info
I also gave some areas that look like that.

I have an additional question which is

What Is The SMALLEST Food Plot that should be made, or would be beneficial for the amount of work put into it?

I am guessing 50 x 100 feet but would like to hear other opinions

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

This depends on what you consider useful...I made a post a little while ago saying  the once the leaf cover is full and you can stand always from  say a  tree stand or blind and look through the woods and see sunny spots plot your course...In other words go scratch up and plant those random spots as you walk to your hunting spot...deer will see what you do and a bright green area in a drab woods will stick out...if you have something in them they like and maybe a water tub on the way as well you are steering them to you....Even if they eat it all be season they will have gotten a routine down they will continue to check now and then.

No till, no results...

You need to rake leaves away, scratch the soil with a garden rake or hoe, and then seed, lightly scratch with lawn rake again, and then roll it down.  

Clover works well for low light.

Clover gets a head start before the tree leaves emerge for the year, and will grow a touch when they're gone.

Any trees you can cut toward the south helps.

Know antone with a portable tiller?  Those mantis units work great.   Just an inch or so of tilling makes a huge difference.

If it can be done safely,  burn those leaves and what branches are around.  Ash makes awesome fertilizer and ph increaser.  I have 3 folks I get their woodstove ash from.  I prefer it over lime.

Edited by sailinghudson25

Ph test that area for sure. Like mentioned, your probably going to find your Ph is low judging by the ferns and pines in the area. Cut down more trees if you can to open up more light. Clear the surface of all vegetation and debris and get the surface scratched up somehow either by hand with a rake or machine.

If your soils are less than ideal, I'd probably plant something like buckwheat that will grow fast and choke out the weeds that are sure to grow like crazy your first year. If your not going to plant this spring, I'd work on getting it tilled up and do 2-3 glysophate sprayings over the summer to keep the weeds and grasses dead and then plant a cereal grain/clover mix come mid august.

• Like 1