Horse chestnuts?

My neighbor offered me a bunch of horse chestnut seedlings.  I know they are toxic to horses and people, but not squirrels and deer.  Is it worth planting them? Will they be a draw for deer or turkeys?  Hoping somebody has some first-hand experience to share on the topic.  Thanks.

I can research and compare, sure.  The biggest deciding factor is that they are free.  I will try a few just for the sake of variety.  His tree is on his lawn, very close to house, so I don't have a sense of if the deer fed on them.  The grey squirrels lugged them off and stored them, which is where all the seedlings are coming from.  Reading up on them is fine, but it doesn't replace real world experience.  

• Like 1

When looking them up you will get a variety of "real world" experience both saying they will and will not eat them. Your right free is free. I personally would rather ask for,as I have for years ,gifted good trees from family . Like the Dunstun I just got. Known preferred nuts,known early fruiting,i don't have to wait Ten years to see first fruit. No need to worry about kids eating them or if we were to gett live stock again cutting them down any how. I also would rather have squirrel "planting" a good seed around my place. Though wonder if they like them so well...why is he getting so many saplings. Buckeye do make good craft projects though.

I looked them up before I posted.  The information was incomplete and conflicting.  It isn't the same as hearing from somebody who has one in their backyard.  You didn't really have an answer, yet you posted anyway.  I have a college degree.  I have served in the military.  I farmed for over 20 years.  I run my own business.  Don't treat me like I'm stupid.  You didn't answer my question, so why bother posting at all?  

You have tons of useful information to share, and a great deal of real life experience. In this case, you don't seem to have anything to offer.  That's ok.  It would have been fine to admit you don't know, or not post at all.

Ok I struck an unintentional nerve...I actually do know, my neighbors have them and they were all over where we lived when I was a kid...reason I could say they make great craft material. I didn't give a definitive answer because...There is none, as you JUST pointed out...it depends on the deer in your area and the available food sources that are at their disposal. This is why when you looked it up..you got conflicting answers. Again sorry

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/advice-on-horse-chestnuts.326681/

Edited by growalot

Doing some research of my own has not turned up very much either. I did how ever see they have a high tannin level which would not be the best for deer. But if they're free why not? What do you have to lose. At the very least you could cut it down later for firewood. Its a fairly uncommon tree so I doubt many have much experience with it. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

At the very least you could cut it down later for firewood.

Here's a good poem that is true...horse chestnut is what I call a popper...others say spitter...not so bad for a closed fire box I suppose...until you need to open the door to add more wood: Also this link,note huge tree with shallow root system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesculus_hippocastanum

If the logs are kept a year;
Store your beech for Christmastide
With new-cut holly laid beside;
Chestnut's only good, they say,
If for years 'tis stored away;

Birch and fir-wood burn too fast
Blaze too bright and do not last;
Flames from larch will shoot up high,
Dangerously the sparks will fly;
But ash-wood green and ash-wood brown
Are fit for a Queen with a golden crown.

Oaken logs, if dry and old,
Keep away the winter's cold;
Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke;
Elm-wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold;
It is by the Irish said;
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread,
Apple-wood will scent the room,
Pear-wood smells like flowers in bloom;
But ash-wood wet and ash-wood dry
A King may warm his slippers by.