found a per pound seed today...

I have a few small sections I want to try a hose pasture mix in..I am not buying 50#'s of seed to test. Dansville Agway is selling both horse and hay pasture seed by the pound. I chose the horse because it contained the timothy I was looking for but also Italian rye and wht. clover and trefoil. 16# per acre so I picked up a couple of #'s for a small area I'm tired of dealing with... It will have to handle spring standing water. I know timothy can handle it and maybe the clovers, trefoil will so we shall see...

The deer absolutely loved the horse hay field that was here before the corn. I believe I will do all the road frontage in the tall horse/hay field stuff and one or two other spots. This not only for the deer as food and bedding but turkey poults to be raised in. I will add a few things of my own in it like red clover, maybe some vetches as well...I really miss it as well some great times watching the deer....

IMG_0039b.JPG

b.JPG

IMG_1331b.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

Edited by growalot

Grow, if you want to go local. Phil Jones SEEDWAY on Rte 21 in Fremont, sells per pound. He has a decent selection to chose from. Also 382-9525
As well as kilburys in arkport but you know how I feel about him with certain things Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip...I will be puttin in a bigger area in the future... This fighting to get equipment ready has gotten old. Then there is the constant weather battle ...Hey they loved that hay field so I'll give them smaller versions of it to travel through.. probably strips in the lower bigger field..... clovers /hay/ beans(turnips)/hay ect ect....

Equipment and time is always a problem of mine. Just got my wheeler all tuned up this Winter and it runs good, used it all day Wednesday to get one of my Soybean Plots, As i finished rolling the plot it started acting up again as usual. So i raced home to park it before getting stranded way back yonder. And i do not have my tractor squared around yet, it hurts not having the tractor running. Getting behind in a hurry. Makes quick work of a lot of things. Might be in the market for a new quad come Fall. 

• Like 1

It sounds like you are on the right track with the pasture mix and corn.   I am hoping to get that same combination out there by the end of the day tomorrow.   I did get the pasture mix in prior to about 2-3/4" of rain that hit the Thursday before Memorial day.   We got another inch or so after that, so getting the corn in was in doubt.   I just finished the last pass with the disk, and with no equipment failures, I should be able to get about 4 acres of corn in tomorrow.   It was all I could do with my largest 4wd tractor, to get my undersized disk through a mud-hole on the last plot.   I lost traction and needed to straighten the disk and use the front loader to pull myself out (that front loader is almost like a "get out of mud free card").  Tomorrow, it will all get culti-mulched at mid-day and planted in the late afternoon.  

That last pass with the disk was the riskiest part (of getting stuck).  They are calling for over an inch of rain Sunday, and more in the days after that, so it is basically now or never for the corn on my mucky, bottomland farm.  The pasture mix is sprouting and looking good and I am glad to have got that in earlier.    The corn is always what puts the meat in the freezer however.   We did so well in and around it last year, that just a couple deer would probably get us thru this year.  Happy planting.                              

• Like 1

I have a house for sale, but it's a slow market for my tough property.

The plot needs to be redone.  The plot is my backyard overlooking the catskill mtns.

Been thinking of buying a pasture mix.

What do you like about the mixtures,  horse versus cow.  The local area is a mix of hardwoods,  brushed over pastures, and neglected but mowed and baled hayfields.  Been there 6 years and no lime, plow, fertilizer, or reseeded in within a mile.

If you don't do a soil test and are unsure of your soil ph, then I would go with a horse mix.   That will do better in acidic soil.  It contains more timothy and less clover.   Deer like the taste of clover more, but the timothy grows taller and provides better bedding cover.   If you have baled the hay off what is there now for 6 years, without adding fertilizer, it has got to be getting pretty thin.  Have you spread any manure on it?      

After you reseed, I would stop  baling it and just keep it bush-hogged once a year, cutting in late June.  The green-cut hay, left to decompose on the field, will add nutrients back to the soil.   The tender stuff that grows up after, towards fall, will provide some good night-time feed for the deer during hunting season.