Parking lot plot.....

My parking lot at my hunting club in the adirondack's always annoyed me.  We mow this nasty razor grass.

So, I sprayed with glyphosate, dumped some lime and 6-24-24, and some oats turnips and clover.

There's maybe 2 cars a weekend in the summer in the .15 acre spot.

The soil is compacted, but I only raked it.  Not a ton of light, but enough for clovers for sure.  Typical low ph sand based soil up in the moose river plains area.

What do you guys think.  Ryegrass and clover like throw n grow.

We have an excellent snowshoe hare spot right by the cabin parking lot.

I didn't have room for my 3ft drag harrow. But plan on redoing it if needed in early august.

Edited by sailinghudson25

Rye grass will tend to take over in a short period...There are many good legumes that handle lower PH's. Also other clumping grasses that legumes can compete with such as those in  hay or pasture mixes.

Disclaimer: I do not provide links nor avoid definitive answers to questions because I think anyone is stupid. I do so to allow the reader to make better choices for their particular properties and animals. I don't have personal knowledge of anyone's lands but mine thus I prefer to give places to go and read further info as well as detailed descriptions on what has worked on my place.:wink:

https://www.grassland.org.nz/publications/nzgrassland_publication_2018.pdf

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/crops/forages/species/birdsfoot-trefoil

http://www.kestersnursery.com/Small Burnett.htm

On 6/2/2017 at 9:18 PM, sailinghudson25 said:

My parking lot at my hunting club in the adirondack's always annoyed me.  We mow this nasty razor grass.

So, I sprayed with glyphosate, dumped some lime and 6-24-24, and some oats turnips and clover.

There's maybe 2 cars a weekend in the summer in the .15 acre spot.

The soil is compacted, but I only raked it.  Not a ton of light, but enough for clovers for sure.  Typical low ph sand based soil up in the moose river plains area.

What do you guys think.  Ryegrass and clover like throw n grow.

We have an excellent snowshoe hare spot right by the cabin parking lot.

I didn't have room for my 3ft drag harrow. But plan on redoing it if needed in early august.

Where the hell did you get 6-24-24 in NY?

Edited by corydd7

I got the 6-24-24 at agway in Stamford ny.  Very reasonable price 14 fir a 50lbs bag.  15-15-15 the same price too.

Time will tell if the oats take.  I think I used my scrap blend of small seeds there.   Timothy, turnips, dutch, red, and ladino clover.  My homemade throw n grow.  

• Like 1