Why Does No One Care About This?

4 hours ago, stubby68 said:

Did the kid deserve the abuse and ultimately death he recieved. I think not. Foe me it's not that I don't care but when you go to other countries you need to know and okay there laws. Especially ones like NK. Just because the crime is a nothing crime in our country does not mean it is in other countries. Different laws ad different punishments. Like I said I do not think he deserved what he got nor did his family but I will not feel sorry for him. Just I would not feel sorry for someone who stabbed themselves in the eye with a pencil. They know the out come is going to be bad so why do it.

I think the problem, Stubby, is that neither he nor his parents fully understood the reality of the situation when he went to visit North Korea. It's not a pencil in the eye or running with scissors. He was captured and tortured for being an American in their country. I won't bash anyone in the family, my heart goes out to them, but they were willfully blind to the potential consequences of a young American kid being in a country ruled by the most brutal Communist regime on the planet.

In Kyrgyzstan it is legal to kidnap women and force them into marriage.  I wonder what the out cry would be if someone from Kyrgystan came to the US, didn't bother learning to rules, and just kidnaps some random girl walking to school.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:53 PM, ....rob said:

So, the consensus on here is, that because he went there and took a piece of paper, he deserved to be abused to the point of a coma, and then death? Sorry, maybe I am misreading the replies, but it sure seems that way!

If you look around there a pretty large amount of companies offering tours to NK. Should anyone take these tours? No! But people do! The same way people still go to other not so great countries. 

How many college kids read the rules? Did you? Did you have alcohol in your dorm room when you were under age? Did you prank other students in college? Most of you on here are old enough where "Hazing" was legal. Did you ever go to far in hazing? You make mistakes when you are young! 

You are over looking and underestimating the the point! An American was sentenced to 15 years for stealing a poster. That American died as a cause of abuse in a country that doesn't care about anyone! All over a mo$#@# fu&%$# poster!

I don't see anyone saying he deserved it. I see  many who are not at all surprised of the outcome given where he traveled. He went there not understanding the potential harm that could have happened. About on par with Timothy Treadwell. The situation sucks and I think it shouldn't have happened but I am not going to get all teary eyed for someone that willingly put themselves in a bad situation.