Gallagher Electric fence

I just purchased with a gift card, a Gallagher electric fence with almost 3,000 ft of poly wire. I only spent 150$. It's energizer runs off (4) D batteries. Was nervous about buying it but my buddy bought for his beans and the fence is doing what it should be. Said after about 45 days the charge was getting a little weak but, I can afford 4 new batteries every month.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I plan to run the out side wire hot, about 24" high. Then just use tape or some sort of rope/wire on the 2 inside lines(12" & 36") not hot. Outside one should be plenty to deter them. Plus the looks of having to clear 3 ropes I think will be good. To protect my growing but getting eaten soybeans lol.

That's what I was told too, I'll probably weed eat anything down under or near that may ground it out. I think the idea behind the 3 strands itself is enough to detour deer. I may try it next year without power first just to test it out.

I have had success with a double fence with no power.  I did two fences about 4 feet apart, with 2 strands each.  Each strand was at a different height  Used old tape style fence that was destined for the dumpster.  It's very visible and it was free.  

Good luck with your fence.  A friend of mine fences his small commercial veggie garden with 3 strands of poly wire.  He powers it with a car battery.  The battery also lasts about a month, but he says he never bothers to change it after the first month.  The deer get bit by the fence and don't come back.  

That reminds me - I need to go look at my beans...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I just purchased with a gift card, a Gallagher electric fence with almost 3,000 ft of poly wire. I only spent 150$. It's energizer runs off (4) D batteries. Was nervous about buying it but my buddy bought for his beans and the fence is doing what it should be. Said after about 45 days the charge was getting a little weak but, I can afford 4 new batteries every month.

So I have 20 acres of soybeans at the cabin. When will the deer really start hitting them. I looked a few days ago and the plant is still flowering and has no beans. Would like to set up a cam on this area. Very cool about the fence hope it does its job!

They start eating beans as soon as they sprout basically, until they turn yellow and leaf drops. The power of soybean is great. They typically don't hit them again until it starts getting colder again

• Like 1

I have had success with a double fence with no power.  I did two fences about 4 feet apart, with 2 strands each.  Each strand was at a different height  Used old tape style fence that was destined for the dumpster.  It's very visible and it was free.  
Good luck with your fence.  A friend of mine fences his small commercial veggie garden with 3 strands of poly wire.  He powers it with a car battery.  The battery also lasts about a month, but he says he never bothers to change it after the first month.  The deer get bit by the fence and don't come back.  
That reminds me - I need to go look at my beans...

I used to use Irish spring soap and pie tins. The wind blows and they clash each other or something solid and it seems to make deer not wanna be near them. If there is open spots where the feel just far enough from the tins and soap they'll eat there. But its worked for me but it's not 100% like a fence.

The deer will eat leaves and all of soybeans now until they start turning for plant dry down. After that depending on what food sources are around they'll eat bean pods into late season until they are gone. Harvested or not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk