How old is this big guy?

Cattcounty

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Old enough to hang on your wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol!!! You got that right turkeyfeathers!! I have a few nice bucks on camera but he is the best one. I'm pretty sure I saw him Wednesday morning at first light going through an area that got logged not to long ago. He was going trough the tree tops that were left laying. It was either him or another nice one. He was around 80 yards from me

• Like 1

Generally, even when a biologist has a jaw in his hand from a deer older than 3.5 he has a difficult time giving an accurate age.  Sure, they can make an educated assumption and give you a "window" of years.

That is at least MY experience in taking a fair amount of jaws to the DEC in Buffalo over the past 20+ years.

That said, I'd say your pictured buck is 3.5 years or older............ :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Generally, even when a biologist has a jaw in his hand from a deer older than 3.5 he has a difficult time giving an accurate age.  Sure, they can make an educated assumption and give you a "window" of years.

That is at least MY experience in taking a fair amount of jaws to the DEC in Buffalo over the past 20+ years.

That said, I'd say your pictured buck is 3.5 years or older............ :)

+1. Over on the bowsite forum, they will post trail cam pics of bucks that have been already killed and professionally aged. 90%+ of people are incorrect on their guesses. people will guess 3.5 to 8.5 and the deer will be somewhere in between.

18 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

+1. Over on the bowsite forum, they will post trail cam pics of bucks that have been already killed and professionally aged. 90%+ of people are incorrect on their guesses. people will guess 3.5 to 8.5 and the deer will be somewhere in between.

It's painful for many who are Believers. :)