Question about hunting with a pistol

Thanks for the advice, like I said it is appreciated, and yes I asked for your explanation. The reason I purchased this gun was based upon why it was created. I could have picked a 9mm and been able to shoot it more for less money, but I wanted something with a bit more knock down, while not being as abusive as a 45.

As for hunting with the gun, I dont plan on taking it and only it into the field. My plan is to put it on my hip just in case I get the right situation to use it. Primarily, Ill be using my shotgun, so if that big 140 steps out, he gets the 12 gauge, but if a nice doe gets broadside within 25 yards, I have the 40 cal. Of course, Ill be shooting the 40 all summer, even more than I usually do, to prepare for the opportunity.

Ill make sure to break the R25 in properly if I pick one up. I was super meticulous when I broke my Remmy 700 in last year, but shes a bonafide tack driver now, just the way I wanted it.  :)

Glad to hear it and even gladder to hear the 40 cal is a hipster deal 2nd string gun for the deer woods.  The xD is a nice pistol, I like mine.  I use a Glock for service, but I am way more impressed with the xD in all things but trigger reset length.  The 700 is awesome.  I love mine too.  Happy hunting. 

@WNYBuckHunter

IMHO, I think you're doing the right thing by looking for a decent bullet option and setting a reasonable effective range. 

One thing I have trouble understanding is why someone will trust a particular handgun to save their life against a person, whom could be over 200 lbs and full of who knows what drugs, yet discount said handgun to humanely dispatch a 200 lb deer.  A deer that will be shot at under much more favorable conditions than a self defense situation.

Hunter ed instructors are also taught that people's ethical views will vary even in situations where everyone is in the right. 

not to beat the deadhorse, but right tool for the right job.  Throw a rock at a deer and hit it right you might kill it, just like the 40, but I honestly doubt you will.  I've shot a lot of deer.  They run on good shots with a entry and exit wound from a 270 NBT that blew out a lung and a liver lobe for a half mile.  When you find them, they have an exit wound the size of a soda can.  I'm sure it happened to you too.  I had that occur this year.  I hunt about 20 days of the year in two states and am fortunate enough to get deer every year. In my honest opinion a 40 would be no more (and really far less) effective on a deer than any deer rifle round would be just fom the aspect of sectional density of the bullet let alone muzzle velocity and bullet construction.  I think most folks don't have the slightest idea about gun fighting and how guns chambered in rounds like 40 are designed to work on man.  People know when they are shot, drugs or not.  I've seen it both ways.Like I said earlier tactical shooting docterines and training are based on three shots in center mass at starting distances of 10 feet while you as the defender is on the move,  Again, not typical scenarios for deer hunting.  Animals have a hightened flight response, they run unless they drop on the spot.  As far as your ethics point, I don't understand the comment.  Variation of ethics..., not so certian.  We're taught to tell people to do the right thing and follow their best judgement in a given situation that they are confronted with.  So let me ask you, would you deer hunt with a 22-250?

Yes. 

"The golden rule of thumb is 1,000 ft lbs at terminal range for any CPX  Class 2 Animal.  The 40 is incapable of that meeting that demand at  except point blank range".."

Actually, the 40 only gets to about 500 ft lbs and is fairly close to the 357 mag.  The 44 mag, which I believe most consider to be more than adequate for deer sized game, gets about 1000 ft lbs.  These values are at the muzzle.  IMHO, folks are getting too focused on arbitrary values.  Shot placement is far more important, not to mention getting some practice in. 

( see http://www.10-32supply.com/firearms/winchester/centerfireballistics.htm for ballistics source)

Enough said as this dead horse has been beaten beyond recognition.  I'm done with the subject.  :-X