How To Finish Wood Scales on Knife

Seeking advice on how to treat unfinished olive wood knife scales on new knife. It is a hand made Puma IP Paloma . The wood is held in place with brass pins which I do not want to remove and there is a small medallion inset which I also don't want to disturb. I was thinking poly or some type of wax. I welcome all advice. Thanks

Tru oil, first coat thinned a bit with some naphtha or mineral spirts works good. Easy to add another coat to cover use.

Can rub out to any sheen later when dry.

Theres some pics of some Turkish Walnut a few threads down  in this section I started.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits on my oaks,walnut, cherry, apple, and hickory handles. Black ash and locus don't take well. No sure on olive.  Lately, I have let that finish dry down a week or so then buff to a high luster on a stationary frame.. It would be nice to pick up some olive wood scraps to practice on before applying it to your piece, to see what appeals to you. 

I have use birch pitch which adds a unique effect to the finish products. Next scales I add will incorporate homemade berry dyes.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Just did  a little reading on Olive wood.  Didn't know anything about it. Apparently it has natural antibacterial properties. Cool. Thanks 

It appears to be a pretty hard wood. If you want more than just a surface treatment let me suggest a process I have used.  It really can be used with treatment that would rub on and really get it in deep

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2017 at 12:27 PM, hunter said:

Seeking advice on how to treat unfinished olive wood knife scales on new knife. It is a hand made Puma IP Paloma . The wood is held in place with brass pins which I do not want to remove and there is a small medallion inset which I also don't want to disturb. I was thinking poly or some type of wax. I welcome all advice. Thanks

How did this project ever turn out?

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2018 at 9:44 AM, hunter said:

Sorry I forgot to update but I was advised to leave them untreated. Olive wood has natural oil and doesn't need treatment I was told but thanks to all for your advice.

The problem with untreated olive wood is it can get dirty very easily under use. I also have had some olive wood scales crack from manufactures that didn't stablized the scales correctly.  I'd like to use more olive wood on some of my blanks, being so cheap, I use the hickories and oaks available.