Just Purchased Land In 4F

estrusgland

New to the forum & new to zone 4F.  I recently purchased some property in 4F Garretsville.  Just wanted to know what the hunting is like up there.  Can anyone provide some intel? 

I scouted the land and found lots of signs which makes me optimistic.

Thanks

Welcome to the region I hunt in 4F as well...as you may know even within a region sucess/habbit/animal densities and diversity can vary from property to property. Having said that, I think most of 4F is rich in fram land and deer tend to grow fairly large, however on the downside we experience some really harsh winters like one just past which keeps deer numbers down. My family has done very well in 4F for the past 45 plus years, we hunt Deleware and Otsego county in 4F. This past year we did well with 2 eight pointers, 2 three pointers and a doe. Attached are a couple pictures from 2010 season to give you an idea of what you can expect in mature bucks....It also helps alot to get involved in some sort food plot and/or land mgt. program, however I have also had great success hunting adjacent to AG farm land . The 8 pointer strung from the tractor is a 3 1/2 year old and the one hanging from tree is a 4 1/2 year old 8 pointer. Best of luck with your new land.

post-18-131455441898_thumb.jpg

post-18-131455441918_thumb.jpg

post-18-131455441936_thumb.jpg

Like everywhere else.  Some big ones, lots of small ones.

Here is a big one I took in bow.

Good luck!

Very nice deer and mount TailHnt...

Thanks alot man.  Yours is a hog!  That is the thing I like about the deer up in 4F.  There are some huge bodied deer (well, huge compared to what I see at home).

My 10 point was taken during the rut in 2009.  A bleat and tending grunt brought him in on a flat out run, looking for a fight.  Got an arrow instead.  Worcester can grow them big every once in a while!

What is the biggest you have ever seen or heard of come out of there?

I purchased land in 4F (Worcester/Decatur) two years ago, prior to that i spent most of my time hunting in Schoharie County (near Summit).  In my opinion, the deer are bigger and there are more bucks (and some big ones in the bunch) in 4F compared to some of the neigboring areas.  In my area, there are a lot of dairy farms and there is more than enough corn to feed the population.  However, the snow can be overwhelming.  The deer disappear when the snow hits.  Occasionaly, i will see them herding up closer to town.  But they always come back in the spring.  Best of luck!

Good luck!

Thanks alot man.  Yours is a hog!  That is the thing I like about the deer up in 4F.  There are some huge bodied deer (well, huge compared to what I see at home).

My 10 point was taken during the rut in 2009.  A bleat and tending grunt brought him in on a flat out run, looking for a fight.  Got an arrow instead.  Worcester can grow them big every once in a while!

Yeah I like the fact that a mature buck in my area will be very big bodied. I have personally witnessed a 2 1/2 year old buck that my cousin shot which was every bit heavier then that 4 1/2 year old I shot. I have pictures of some nice bruisers on my trail cam and I actually witnessed a monster on rt. 23 near harpersfield about ten years back that was tending 3 does about 75 yards from the road with not a care in the world. About 6 years ago my nieghbor had told me that his cousin shot a huge 17 pointer near Oneonta, a couple years later I actually met this guy and he whips out a picture of this deer from his wallet like it was a picture of his kid and let me tell you that deer had a huge rack...thats the biggest I've seen.

I purchased land in 4F (Worcester/Decatur) two years ago, prior to that i spent most of my time hunting in Schoharie County (near Summit).  In my opinion, the deer are bigger and there are more bucks (and some big ones in the bunch) in 4F compared to some of the neigboring areas.  In my area, there are a lot of dairy farms and there is more than enough corn to feed the population.  However, the snow can be overwhelming.  The deer disappear when the snow hits.  Occasionaly, i will see them herding up closer to town.  But they always come back in the spring.  Best of luck!

I'm in the worcester/harpersfield area and I have to agree with all you said, there always seems to be a mature buck shot by us ,a neighbor or somebody I know close by and the corn does seem to sustain the herd pretty well. However I do have deer that continue to frequent my property during the winter and I noticed most of the branch tips of my apple trees are nibbled on.

Good luck!

Yeah I like the fact that a mature buck in my area will be very big bodied. I have personally witnessed a 2 1/2 year old buck that my cousin shot which was every bit heavier then that 4 1/2 year old I shot. I have pictures of some nice bruisers on my trail cam and I actually witnessed a monster on rt. 23 near harpersfield about ten years back that was tending 3 does about 75 yards from the road with not a care in the world. About 6 years ago my nieghbor had told me that his cousin shot a huge 17 pointer near Oneonta, a couple years later I actually met this guy and he whips out a picture of this deer from his wallet like it was a picture of his kid and let me tell you that deer had a huge rack...thats the biggest I've seen.

Haha...Yeah, I know a few that carry around pictures of their big deer.  Got to wonder about them......

There was a nice 17 pointer taken near Binghamton this past year.  If you are up for sharing sometime I would love to see any trail camera pics you have of the bucks in Worcester.  I guess I am obsessed with Worcester deer.

Heres a ten pointer from worcester that I caught on the trail cam in 2009, just take a look at his body (hes long and huge), never did see that guy. I have printed pictures of a huge 8 ponter but nothing that I saved and can show you. Below the 10 pointer is a picture of a doe I saved that is also a hog. And below the doe is a picture from last year, beginnings of a big buck.

Enjoy

post-18-131455443426_thumb.jpg

post-18-131455443445_thumb.jpg

post-18-131455443708_thumb.jpg

Very nice.  Thanks for the pics!

That doe is a pig!  That has to be the longest tail I have ever seen. 

I shot a doe during archery a few years back and she was one of the biggest bodied deer I have ever taken up there.  Out weighed almost all of the bucks I have ever taken up there.

Very nice.  Thanks for the pics!

That doe is a pig!  That has to be the longest tail I have ever seen. 

I shot a doe during archery a few years back and she was one of the biggest bodied deer I have ever taken up there.  Out weighed almost all of the bucks I have ever taken up there.

Now that you pointed it out, she sure does have a long tail. There are some huge does in our area.