Minimum shooting age

Doc

I remember when three of us kids used to have free reign of the valley. One neighbor kid was given a gun, and we used to head out, shooting up trees and whatever looked like a good target. There was no thoughts about safe back-stops or what was beyond the target that we were shooting at. We just had a gun with absolutely no rules, training, or responsibility. Today, I would not want to share the woods with a bunch of little terrorists like we were. I don't know how prevalent this situation is today, but I do know parents that give their kids anything they want with no care or concern with how they use it.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I remember when three of us kids used to have free reign of the valley. One neighbor kid was given a gun, and we used to head out, shooting up trees and whatever looked like a good target. There was no thoughts about safe back-stops or what was beyond the target that we were shooting at. We just had a gun with absolutely no rules, training, or responsibility. Today, I would not want to share the woods with a bunch of little terrorists like we were. I don't know how prevalent this situation is today, but I do know parents that give their kids anything they want with no care or concern with how they use it.

I think the tendency nowadays is the exact opposite.  More parents are afraid of guns and wouldnt let their kid even touch one esp non hunters.  And most hunters that have kids are responsible with a gun and its use. 

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

I think the tendency nowadays is the exact opposite.  More parents are afraid of guns and wouldnt let their kid even touch one esp non hunters.  And most hunters that have kids are responsible with a gun and its use. 

I'm not concerned with "tendencies". I was just curious as to what protections we may have may have to guard against the irresponsibility of parents that hand their kids anything that they ask for these days. I have no problems with parents who maintain control of weapons and apply the proper supervision and safety training. But there really is no scientific guarantee that all parents are of that caliber is there?

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm not concerned with "tendencies". I was just curious as to what protections we may have may have to guard against the irresponsibility of parents that hand their kids anything that they ask for these days. I have no problems with parents who maintain control of weapons and apply the proper supervision and safety training. But there really is no scientific guarantee that all parents are of that caliber is there?

the same protections you have against anyone carrying a gun for unlawful reasons.  There are already laws for that.  And you can make as many laws as you want but there will ALWAYS be people that will ignore them or break them.  A law guarantees nothing as well.  There is no reason to further the restrictions on law biding citizens with further legislation when there are already laws on the books and would be broken anyway. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

the same protections you have against anyone carrying a gun for unlawful reasons.  There are already laws for that.  And you can make as many laws as you want but there will ALWAYS be people that will ignore them or break them.  A law guarantees nothing as well.  There is no reason to further the restrictions on law biding citizens with further legislation when there are already laws on the books and would be broken anyway. 

I agree that there will always be those that break laws. But it sure would be one ugly darn world without a legal system or laws.  But I'm not really talking about people willfully engaging in illegal acts. I am talking about children engaging in unsupervised operation of an implement that can be of danger to themselves or others with no instruction. One would think that if the laws were ever needed, that would be an appropriate place for one. Yeah, you're right. Every so often you hear or read about some little kid figuring out how to make a car start and doing so. But we do have laws regarding when and how a kid can legally drive a car ...... thank Heavens. It's not a perfect analogy, but I think you get my meaning.

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

I agree that there will always be those that break laws. But it sure would be one ugly darn world without a legal system or laws.  But I'm not really talking about people willfully engaging in illegal acts. I am talking about children engaging in unsupervised operation of an implement that can be of danger to themselves or others with no instruction. One would think that if the laws were ever needed, that would be an appropriate place for one. Yeah, you're right. Every so often you hear or read about some little kid figuring out how to make a car start and doing so. But we do have laws regarding when and how a kid can legally drive a car ...... thank Heavens. It's not a perfect analogy, but I think you get my meaning.

And you think that a 12 year old will no longer do that because there is a law?  All yet another law will do is restrict people that dont need another law. 

The gun laws and general laws already on place cover any issue needed that is practical.  There is no need to make a law just to make a law. 

9 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

And you think that a 12 year old will no longer do that because there is a law?  All yet another law will do is restrict people that dont need another law. 

The gun laws and general laws already on place cover any issue needed that is practical.  There is no need to make a law just to make a law. 

Yeah, I guess I do kind of think that just as the laws controlling the age level and training keeps 99% ( number made up) of the 12 year olds from hopping in the family car and motoring down the road, most laws do work.