Off Season Parking Regs

Bobonli

This will be my first season. I want to get some leg work in over the spring and summer, learning the landscape of the public lands in Suffolk.  I've car-scouted some areas (Wildwood for example) and notice that the assigned parking spots to gain entrance to the hunting areas require a permit or pass for hunting. 

Do those rules apply off season? In other words, can I park in one of those spots today and hike in, or will I be ticketed for not displaying the pass?

Assuming the ticket is in play, how do you gain access? Park in a residential 'hood and walk? I'm reluctant to do that without knowing the neighbors' attitudes about people parking in front of their homes to hike into the hunting area.

Thank you.

I've been getting that free permit for years. It's for DEC Managed lands not Suffolk County Lands.

It's the Managed Land Access Permit and You will also need The Managed Land Parking Permit.As Rachunter said, It's free. It's good for 3 years. It covers many spots in Suffolk, but I don't know about Wildwood either. You put the Parking Permit in the window and carry the Access Permit on you.  Everything that you need to know is on the Permit. It takes seconds to get it online. Look up maps for the areas online  too.

The permit lists the spots and gives the rules. In the activities box I always check hiking in addition to hunting, fishing and boating(I used to get the night hunting permit too, but my days for that have long passed.) I never asked the DEC, but I figured that with the hiking box checked I could walk around off season, which makes sense to me...

You can call the DEC in Stony Brook and ask questions . They've always been good when I called. Ask can ask about the hiking too...

As I'm sure you know there are TICKS !!

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for.. Hope that it helps..

Doh! I think I have the Managed Land Permit for mtn biking. I didn't realize it was the same thing.

Side question, since ticks were mentioned:

I've been negligent: I routinely mountain bike through areas known to have ticks and, although I ALWAYS cover up my skin, I've never gone the extra step of treating to clothes with chemical. I will do that for hiking/hunting......here's my question..

Do you put those clothes in your home washing machine (separate of course from regular clothes) when you're done?   I can imagine my wife freaking out about permethrin running through the machine.

2 hours ago, Bobonli said:

Doh! I think I have the Managed Land Permit for mtn biking. I didn't realize it was the same thing.

Side question, since ticks were mentioned:

I've been negligent: I routinely mountain bike through areas known to have ticks and, although I ALWAYS cover up my skin, I've never gone the extra step of treating to clothes with chemical. I will do that for hiking/hunting......here's my question..

Do you put those clothes in your home washing machine (separate of course from regular clothes) when you're done?   I can imagine my wife freaking out about permethrin running through the machine.

I wouldn't worry about it. I do it all the time. 

• Like 1