Hunting/Fishing/Camping in South-East region

Elmo

The state lands that I've seen in the southeast regions don't allow camping during hunting season and don't allow hunting during camping season.  I really want to be able to harvest game and cook it over a camp fire right then and there.

For fishing, I was hoping for a place that rents canoes over night so I can paddle to a locations and setup camp for the night.

Is there any places in the southeast that offers that?  Thanks!

I haven't used state land for a while but I remember SL near Windham with lean-tos where hunting was allowed. I think there is a list of places in the regs book. Not sure if it has changed but I believe North Lake and South Lake allowed camping as well as Ber Spring Mtn. which I believe is currently closed but I hope will reopen soon. Fahrenstock in Putnam allows bow hunting or it used to. I know there is a campground there you just have to check if it's open. BTW I know several parks furthe west offer cabin rentals and allow hunting. Search NYstate park cabin rentals and see which ones allow hunting. If not the same park I am sure there will be SL nearby. I have seen campsites on islands in Indian lake but the boat rental was a private firm not state but I am pretty sure there are others closer. I know they rent boats right in Harriman and have camping as well as cabins. I didn't like their campsites now they were too crowded. I got spoiled using the Boy Scout campground when it was open to all. Check out the private campgrounds in and around Roscoe. No canoes but you won't find nicer fishing and the campgrounds were nice, you fish world famous streams right in the campground and have plenty of state access points nearby. Good luck.

Head to the Catskills....not to far from NYC.....and you can camp anywhere you want below 3500',150' off any trail or water. I camp several times a year when seasons open in the fall; and hikers thin out in the lean-to's then too, esp. during the week (I don't use the lean to's much, tent and tarp combo works best for me).

Highly suggest the NY/NJ trail conference map sets for access and private/public locations for a good portion of the area.

http://www.nynjtc.org/catalog/maps

The Catskill set is very good and was recently updated to include DEP access points and lands as well as the usual NY State.....

• 2 months later...

Toruk, I want to do something similar myself during the muzzleloader season. You mentioned that you are close to sterling. An option for you (although somewhat complicated) is to camp out on the Appalachian Trail by night, and hike into the park by day. However, the Appalachian trail, while it does allow camping, does not allow hunting or firearms within the vicinity. What you would have to do is find a parking lot on the side of the park. (You cannot park in the seasonal lots because they close at night.) There are some small parking lots on the side of the AT. You would have to leave your gun and all hunting equipment in your vehicle overnight (make sure you do this, you do not want to be charged for hunting on national park land.) Then, by day, you would return to your vehicle, drive it into the park, and hunt.

Not exactly as rustic as backpacking hunting out west, or up north. Its probably all you've got down in this area though.

I found a nice swamp by the Indian Hill gate that might bring some luck. It runs right across the street from the AT for easy access. If you have a map of sterling, you shouldn't have a hard time locating this area. Its located on the northern section of the map.

Good luck.

Not sure what statelands you are refering to but from what I can tell as long as you have under 10 people with you and stay less than three days you can camp at statelands anytime without a permit.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

§190.4 Camping permits  a. Temporary camping in one location for four nights or more is prohibited except under permit. Except during the big game hunting season, no temporary camping permit will be issued to any person for a period in excess of 14 consecutive nights. No temporary camping permit may be renewed, or a new permit issued, to the same person for the same location in the same calendar year.

b. Temporary camping is restricted in certain posted areas and no person may camp on such areas without a permit.

c. Upon termination of camping all equipment and supplies must be removed from State land. The storage of personal property on State lands is prohibited.

d. No temporary camping permits will be issued to individuals under 18 years of age.

e. No group of 10 or more individuals may camp on State lands at any time except under permit