New Toy! Marlin 795 .22LR

When I went to the Appleseed shoot, most used clip fed .22s to keep ammo expenses down, and safe muzzle direction when reloading during timed shoots. Most used 1022s, and after I ran out of SKS ammo, I was able to borrow one to keep shooting. Felt great in hand, like a full size rifle. The bolt lock/no last shot hold open was awkward to me, and I found the mag release operation PIA too.. I know these features are 'fixable' with kits & cash, but paying $210+ for a rifle, then the mods, then optics/mounts are adding up to way more than I want to spend on 22 plinking gun..

I began to look at options, and the M795 filled the bill. Yes, it's butt ugly, but has last shot hold open, easy tab bolt & mag releases, sling studs installed, and a decent trigger out of the box. It's essentially a clip fed model 60. Most Model 60's are tanks, and hopefully this shouldn't be any different.

Dicks has them $139, and marlin is offering $25 mail in rebates on blued ones. I had $30 Dicks gift card, so after rebate, it will be $84 out of pocket. Shopping now for mount & optics.

Marlin795.jpg

Have fun with it. I am buying one for my Dad for Fathers Day this year. I havent been able to get his old Marlin 22 to feed properly, even after many cleanings, and he has been a big help to us through the birth of my son, so I figured something nice was in order this year.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I went to the Appleseed shoot, most used clip fed .22s to keep ammo expenses down, and safe muzzle direction when reloading during timed shoots. Most used 1022s, and after I ran out of SKS ammo, I was able to borrow one to keep shooting. Felt great in hand, like a full size rifle. The bolt lock/no last shot hold open was awkward to me, and I found the mag release operation PIA too.. I know these features are 'fixable' with kits & cash, but paying $210+ for a rifle, then the mods, then optics/mounts are adding up to way more than I want to spend on 22 plinking gun..

I began to look at options, and the M795 filled the bill. Yes, it's butt ugly, but has last shot hold open, easy tab bolt & mag releases, sling studs installed, and a decent trigger out of the box. It's essentially a clip fed model 60. Most Model 60's are tanks, and hopefully this shouldn't be any different.

Dicks has them $139, and marlin is offering $25 mail in rebates on blued ones. I had $30 Dicks gift card, so after rebate, it will be $84 out of pocket. Shopping now for mount & optics.

Marlin795.jpg

the 795 has a decent trigger but can be made better with a little jb weld or a set screw in the top of the trigger mechanism. There is a lot of good info on rimfirecentral.com there is a wealth of knowledge over there when it comes to marlin .22s and all .22s and some good info on appleseeds. I have a model 60,795,and a 25m.

Have fun with it. I am buying one for my Dad for Fathers Day this year. I havent been able to get his old Marlin 22 to feed properly, even after many cleanings, and he has been a big help to us through the birth of my son, so I figured something nice was in order this year.

you might want to look in to the feed throat or a feed throat conversion kit for it. it is a common issue with older marlin semi autos they wear down over time.

Edited by noahmstone

• 2 weeks later...