Pulaski/Mexico area

blkbearklr

So now being retired from the Army, starting to look hard at where we are going to retire at. The wife has two more years. Been out in the west states the last 17 years. Can anyone tell me how the hunting is around this area? Any public land? Will still do the long drive to Montana every year to hunt elk but would nice to have something local. Also how is the fishing?

Thanks

Joe

Happy Valley off of county rt 69 is very good .I think its around 2000 acres.About 6 miles east of Parish.Used to bow hunt it years ago.Never saw any bucks but huge does.If theres does theres bucks.Place is filled with big Porcupine

State land....Happy valley, Redfield, Boyolston..thousands of acres and there are plenty of deer.

Fishing...Salmon river, Lake Ontario, Oneida lake, Oswego river..and many small ponds and streams. Its a good place to live, but the taxes are a little crazy.

One thing to keep in mind...we get tons of snow!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for deer hunting go a little east to Port Ontario.  Tons of great state land with lots of deer up the coast of Lake Ontario from there.  I know of one piece of state land that borders a soybean field.  Very few people hunt it.

Contact the NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation for info on public lands in the area. There are tens of thousands of acres of public land within an hour of the Rt. 81 corridor through northern NY (not even including the Adirondacks). Happy Valley is over 6000 acres, and up on the Tug Hill you have the Winona State forest, Little John WMR, Lakeview Marsh, and many others. NY is rich in public lands- at one time a hunting zoo, but over the last 20 years, generally thinly hunted.

Fishing opportunities are far beyond what most out of staters can comprehend. Lake Ontario offers Salmon, Brown Trout, Lake trout, bass, walleye, and all sorts of panfish. There are more small lakes and river access than can be listed- Foremost the St. Lawrence River, about an hour north, the Salmon River, Black River, Oswego River, Black Lake, Oneida Lake, and many different trout streams scattered around. Deer hunting is generally woods hunting on public land. You need to work for them, but they tend to run big. Alot of public land being close by, it makes it easy to do plenty of scouting.

Hey Everyone thanks a lot for the info. Was looking at the area a lot but taxes are real high. Might head a little North East to Lake Champlain. I will still have to go down there and do my salmon and steelhead fishing though.

Thanks

Joe