brush hog?

I have seen self powered flail type mowers for ATVs that are pull behinds also.

I purchased a three point flail mower this spring, I prefer a flail over the bush hog type for several reasons. They do not stick out so far behind the tractor making them more maneuverable, they do not send rocks flying like missiles to parts unknown and they give a really nice looking cut on grass. While probably not as effective  as the hog type on bigger saplings and such, with the hammer type knives they can and will shred and pulverize brush up to 3 inches in diameter. My pastures look like a golf course.

Al 

2018-06-29_081016.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have seen self powered flail type mowers for ATVs that are pull behinds also.

I purchased a three point flail mower this spring, I prefer a flail over the bush hog type for several reasons. They do not stick out so far behind the tractor making them more maneuverable, they do not send rocks flying like missiles to parts unknown and they give a really nice looking cut on grass. While probably not as effective  as the hog type on bigger saplings and such, with the hammer type knives they can and will shred and pulverize brush up to 3 inches in diameter. My pastures look like a golf course.

Al 

2018-06-29_081016.png

I would like one of those.  But for now my bush hog will have to suffice. 

How much HP is required to run o e of those? Does a 5' flail require the same HP as a standard hog?

29 minutes ago, mowin said:

How much HP is required to run o e of those? Does a 5' flail require the same HP as a standard hog?

I would say you can match a flail mower's  HP requirement and cutting width pretty much the same as the rotary mower types and be good to go.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I prefer flail mowers too.  They seem to cut the grass cleaner and cut it finer.

My real preference is those small tractor belly mowers.  Lawn mower blades, but beefier, and a bit more space in there for tall grass not to clog as bad.

If you got a brush hog, keep the blades sharp.  A clean cut makes recovery better for your forage.