My weekend at camp

In my third year of owning land and creating food plots I have finally found hard work has equaled results. Well that isn't so true because with a little effort, we have changed the amount of wildlife negitive and positive but only now have I been satisfied with my food plot results. A couple books, youtube and some very well informed posters on this forum have allowed me moderate success compared to many but extreme success to myself. I have enjoyed three years of learning from an experience level of zero to now and love the learning process. I hope somebody just starting out reads this beacuse it is worth the challenge.  I have 8 different bucks and countless doe (with ZERO fawn that sucks) in a very low density area that, only had two bucks on camera the first year. I gave up on my soybean plot only to be surprised with success.

Screenshot_2018-07-29-13-46-00.png

Screenshot_2018-07-29-13-46-25.png

20180729_195859.jpg

20180729_200002.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, First-light said:

When you say I gave up on my Soy bean plot did you mean it wasn't growing but when you came back it had taken hold?

Yes. I like others travel three hours, I have had a tight schedule last couple months so I couldn't wait for rain. They were planted June 10th, I visited July 3rd and had maybe 10% germination. I decided to overseed it with radishes and turnips because of what I thought was lack of germination and I wanted to experiment planting a winter plot very early for bulbs. I planted my winter plot last week of August last year and Im looking for more growth this year. Frost comes early where I am so late July is my optimum planting I think. I just seeded winter peas and brassicas yesterday into a new 1/2 acre plot I added this year. It took 4000 pounds of lime to get results in my main plot so I dont expect much out of the new plot this year. All plots done with chainsaw and atv tiller.

• Like 1

Awesome Cory. Im glad to see your hard work really paying off. I know the feeling. Trying to make my small 13 acres, better than all my neighbors 150acres isnt easy. but it definitely works great at certain times of the year more than others. Bring the and hold the deer, you reap the rewards. 

Soybeans are by far the best for whitetail IMO. During growing and cold months. I work hard to try and have soybeans available. Green for early bow in certain spots, and protected by fence in others for grain during winter. A lot of people think soybeans dont grow or do well, when in reality they usually just get hammered. By deer, rabbits or Woodchucks. Wood chucks can wipe out a bean field fast. I highly recommend hunting or trapping woodchucks to achieve soybean success. They will literally lay on their pot bellies and gorge all day long everyday. There are also some cheap easy deterrents yo can do to keep critters out. 

• Like 1

Since I dont have the big sanctuaries like some do around me. I strive to have the best opportunities available during early bow (before deer get pressured by neighbors etc..) and for the end of deer season, when deer, esp bucks need to find good food fast and then usually hold tight to the food for a couple weeks straight. Usually, by then the majority people are done hunting, (maybe I shouldnt have mentioned that part lol)