Crossbow & smoke pole

Tim Horlacher

Trying to navigate the NY game site but figured I’ll ask here as well. I understand I can use a crossbow the last 14 days of archery season (southern section), as long as a muzzleloader tag is purchased. Can that tag only be used for doe/antlerless deer? Or can a buck be legally taken?

Second part of the question is if I’m just buying the tag to primarily hunt the muzzleloader season, can buck be taken or is it antlerless?

In PA the early muzzleloader season (online season and flintlock) is for only antlerless. The late muzzleloader (flintlock only) you can use your buck tag (if not already filled) for a buck or a doe.

Thanks for help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you buy your NY ML license, you will get a single either/or tag.  If you also purchase an archery license, then you will get an additional "antlerless only" tag.  To purchase an archery tag, you need to take the NY archery course.

During the late ML season in the NY southern zone (there is no early ML season there), you may take up to three antlerless deer in most zones with your ML, because the regular season buck tag becomes an either/or tag during that season.   In some grossly-overpopulated zones, a non-resident can take up to (9) antlerless deer.  That would include (2) DMP tags purchased prior to October 1, and (2) more after Nov 1, (2) transferred from other hunters, and the (3) tags previously mentioned.    

No one, including state residents are allowed to take more than (2) antlered bucks per year in NY.   I think they should at least let residents, who buy a gun, bow, and ML license, to kill a buck with each.  I doubt that will happen any time soon as there are actually a few trophy-hunters calling for a "one-buck" rule in NY.    

Things get a little more confusing up in the Northern zone, where there is an early ML season and it runs concurrent with the last 7 days of archery season.  Up there, the crossbow season runs the last 10 days of archery.   Some of the Adirondack zones (one across the road from the camp I hunt) do not allow does to be taken during ML season, while others do (like on our side of the road).  Most zones do not give out any DMP's, so the only way to take a doe is with a crossbow, regular bow, or ML in most zones except those mentioned above.         

13 hours ago, wolc123 said:

During the late ML season in the NY southern zone (there is no early ML season there), you may take up to three antlerless deer in most zones with your ML, because the regular season buck tag becomes an either/or tag during that season.  

I didn't know that, thanks.  So if I haven't used my 2 bow/muzzle tags or my regular deer tag by ML season, they are all good for either sex?  (Hopefully that won't happen, but it's good to know.) 

7170050883f6f5424fc9055b96307567.png

The way it’s worded saying if you buy both permits/privileges you receive 1 antlerless and 1 either sex. I just wasn’t sure if there were stipulations somewhere I wasn’t seeing.

So in theory I can hammer a doe and a buck in archery and then a buck in rifle? Shooting 9 deer in the season is well above my plans. I’m just hoping for 2 but want to be legal for the different seasons

34 minutes ago, Tim Horlacher said:

7170050883f6f5424fc9055b96307567.png

The way it’s worded saying if you buy both permits/privileges you receive 1 antlerless and 1 either sex. I just wasn’t sure if there were stipulations somewhere I wasn’t seeing.

So in theory I can hammer a doe and a buck in archery and then a buck in rifle? Shooting 9 deer in the season is well above my plans. I’m just hoping for 2 but want to be legal for the different seasons

If you buy archery and muzzleloader, you get 1 either sex and 1 doe tag. If you buy just muzzleloader (covers crossbow), you get an either sex.

For me, I get 4 DMPs (Im in WMUs that hand them out like candy), my regular season buck tag (turns to either sex for late ML season if I didnt use it already), my bow/ml either sex, my bow/ml doe permit which makes 7. Then I can have 2 DMPs signed over to me, bringing the total to 9. On top of that, one of the farms I hunt gets DMAPs, of which I can use 2, so my final total could be 11 deer.

Let's try this. 

Archery and Muzzleloader are special privileges. 

When you buy your first special privilege you get an either sex tag

When you buy your second special privilege you get an antlerless only tag. 

Either of those can be used in either season if you bought both special privileges. So you could fill both during bow or both during Muzzleloader. (or crossbow)

You are correct that a ML privilege must be bought to hunt with a crossbow. During the time and area where  you can legally hunt with a crossbow you can fill any special privilege tag you bought. 

If you make it through the southern zone regular season and do not fill your "buck" tag. it can be filled with and used as an either sex tag. So if you bought bow and ML and didn't fill your regular season you could take 3 antlerless in late season with either bow, crossbow or ML

Don't forget your crossbow certification paper

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tim Horlacher said:

Thanks for the clarification everyone. Really do appreciate it. The crossbow very looks like just a print out you sign and keep with your license correct? I have my regular archery education safety card, so I’m good for that.

Thanks again very much

Just print, sign and have with you with your license and ML tags.