Barnes Reloading data

Pygmy

I want to work up a load for my .280 Rem featuring the Barnes 140 TTSX bullet.

I don't have a Barnes manual.

My pet load is currently a 140 Nosler BT with 59.5 grains of RL-19.  My plan is to drop back a few grains  and work up cautiously with the Barnes bullet, but I would be interested in any published data on this  bullet in the .280, if anyone has any info to share.

Thanks, Eddie....The TSX and TTSX should be the same, because the bearing surfaces that contact the rifling are the same.

The only difference in the bullets is that the TTSX has a plastic tip to improve the BC and help the bullet begin to expand when it hits meat.

That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'll start a few grains below and work up to that level carefully..I was hoping for an APPX. 3000 FPS MV, which is what I get out of my Nosler BT load..

Thanks, Covert...I have it bookmarked...

I loaded up a few rounds for the .280 this afternoon..I'll report on the results.

I spent the afternoon at my loading bench.. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to fiddle around with my loading stuff..Along with putting together a few .280 rounds to try, I prepped a bunch of cases in 30-06 ( Lake City military ) and 7mm08..

As soon as my buddy who has a benchrest and 300 yard range gets the HAY off his range, I am looking forward to having a few range days involving the .280, my 30-06 M1 Garand, my 7mm08  and my new squirrel rifle, a NEA single shot in .17 mach II...

Is it just a co-incidence that GUN rhymes with FUN..??... ;D ....

• 2 weeks later...

An update on my efforts to find a good load for the 140 Barnes TTSX for my .280 Rem.

I have carefully worked up to 59.0 of RL-19, with no obvious signs of high pressure.

58.0 gave me a 2 inch 3 shot group...With 59.0, the first 3 rounds went into one inch ( which is extremely good for my .280) but the 4th shot opened the group to 3 inches... Could have been operator error...

I think I will play around with 58 or 59 grains and fiddle with the seating depth..I think I am dialing it in.

My .280 is not a tack driver...Day in and day out with its best loads I am happy with a 1.5" 3 shot group.. However, I consider that good accuracy for a big game rifle.. It ain't a varmint rig, but within 400 yards, everything I shoot at seems to die, as long as I do things right.

I'll bet the barrel on that 280 got a touch warm today?  Plenty of shade and some time between shots should make it doable though. 

Did you get a chance to run them over a chronograph?  If not, what does the book say, 2800fps or so?

I shot early from inside a nice shady shooting shack and let the barrel cool between shots. It was beginning to get hot by the time I quit, though.. ;) ...It was nice to get home to my nice,cool insulated garage to clean the rifle.

I have not chronographed the load with the Barnes bullet  yet, but  with the same charge  of RL-19 and the 140 Nosler BT I was getting 3000 FPS.

I shot a few more groups with 59.0 RL-19 and they range from 1-2".. I'd like to reduce that to 1-1.5".  I'm not looking for sub MOA, because I know from experience my .280 is not a sub MOA rifle.

I've changed the seating depth to .050" off the lands, which Barnes suggests as a starting point. I'll report on the results.

Another factor that might be involved is the fact that I have not done a lot of shooting lately and I feel somewhat rusty...I think I'm beginng to settle in, and hopefully that will take some of the human error factor out of my load development.

• 2 months later...

I finally settled on a consistent load for my .280 with the barnes 140 TTSX...

For some reason I could not get a consistent load with RL-19.

I tried RL-22 and things came together.

My current load is 58.0 of RL-22 with the 140 Barnes TTSX. It groups around an inch at 100, which is STELLAR for my M70 .280... I have not graphed it yet, but I expect velocity at around 2900 FPS or a bit more. My rifle shoots 140 Nosler ballistic tips with 59.5 of RL-19 at a little over 3000 FPS..

If you use this load, please take the usual precautions and start a few grains low and work up. This load shows no pressure signs IN MY RIFLE, but I suspect it is close to max, because if I go higher, I start to see some slight cratering on the primers.

I finally settled on a consistent load for my .280 with the barnes 140 TTSX...

For some reason I could not get a consistent load with RL-19.

I tried RL-22 and things came together.

My current load is 58.0 of RL-22 with the 140 Barnes TTSX. It groups around an inch at 100, which is STELLAR for my M70 .280... I have not graphed it yet, but I expect velocity at around 2900 FPS or a bit more. My rifle shoots 140 Nosler ballistic tips with 59.5 of RL-19 at a little over 3000 FPS..

If you use this load, please take the usual precautions and start a few grains low and work up. This load shows no pressure signs IN MY RIFLE, but I suspect it is close to max, because if I go higher, I start to see some slight cratering on the primers.

If you want to borrow my CED chronograph, I'll be passing through your neck of the woods pretty soon. I don't anticipate needing it back for a while.

I just settled on a load for my 243, 80 grain Barnes TTSX with 46 grains of IMR 4350, chrono'd at 3425fps.

Accuarcy is good, a shade under an inch. I shoot probably 30 loads while messing with seating depth and ended up at 0.100 off lands. (almost a mile!)

• 4 weeks later...

Larry...That sounds like a smoker of a load for your .243.

Since you are shooting a BARNES TTSX, you will get an exit hole with anything approaching good shot placement, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is a " drop 'em in a pile" load, and not much tracking will be required.

What rifle/scope combo is your .243 ?

Thanks, Covert...I have it bookmarked...

I loaded up a few rounds for the .280 this afternoon..I'll report on the results.

I spent the afternoon at my loading bench.. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to fiddle around with my loading stuff..Along with putting together a few .280 rounds to try, I prepped a bunch of cases in 30-06 ( Lake City military ) and 7mm08..

As soon as my buddy who has a benchrest and 300 yard range gets the HAY off his range, I am looking forward to having a few range days involving the .280, my 30-06 M1 Garand, my 7mm08 and my new squirrel rifle, a NEA single shot in .17 mach II...

Is it just a co-incidence that GUN rhymes with FUN..??... ;D ....

You will fall in love with the Mach2.Got about 600 rnds.thru mine with about 1200 back up in case they quit makeing them.Hornady workes the best for me with CCI a close second.Midsouth has them on sale about once a month.Make sure you use the"0"ring trick--it will save a lot of aggravation.

David... I have about 800 rounds. A couple hundred Hornady, a 100 CCI and a 500 round brick of Eley. Everything has shot well so far in my rifle.

What is the "O" ring trick ? Never heard of it, but I'm new to the Mach II.

Are you shooting a NEA also ? My previous experience with a 17 was with the HMR in Savage 9317, but I found it a little too destructive for my taste, so when I got a good deal on the NEA, I sold the Savage, which was a fine shooting rifle..