Anyone know an architect in or near Greene County?

jmark

I'm just curious and also nosy. Sorry. I'm a recovering Architect myself.

What is your purpose for wanting to hire an Architect? Quality design, or legal buffer? It was the "legal buffer" thing that drove me out of the profession. Quality design got me into it, but that quickly became subservient to the 'legal practice of Architecture'. That and 'business management'. I don't know where Greene County is, but I have Architect friends and acquaintances  around the state. They're known to travel for work as well.

I used to be a builder many years ago.  Now I'm a lawyer (although I rarely admit it).  I'm planning to build a small house in Greene County, on property I own.  I have some drawings I made, and a bunch of questions about how to do this or that, what's cheaper, better, etc.  I may want to hire someone to do the full drawings, depending on the cost.  Initially, just an hourly consultation.  

Back when I was re-evaluating my life (and made the insane decision to go to law school), my first choice was to become an architect.  I visited a few people in the profession, and they basically talked me out of it.  No money in residential architecture.  Unless you get the big jobs.  Which you probably won't get, and if you do, the client will drive you nuts.  Etc.  I understand the issues.  

Greene County is southwest of Albany, down to the Catskills.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jmark said:

I used to be a builder many years ago.  Now I'm a lawyer (although I rarely admit it).  I'm planning to build a small house in Greene County, on property I own.  I have some drawings I made, and a bunch of questions about how to do this or that, what's cheaper, better, etc.  I may want to hire someone to do the full drawings, depending on the cost.  Initially, just an hourly consultation.  

Back when I was re-evaluating my life (and made the insane decision to go to law school), my first choice was to become an architect.  I visited a few people in the profession, and they basically talked me out of it.  No money in residential architecture.  Unless you get the big jobs.  Which you probably won't get, and if you do, the client will drive you nuts.  Etc.  I understand the issues.  

Greene County is southwest of Albany, down to the Catskills.  

The first step is admitting it. Just kidding. Lawyering is not much different from being an Architect. I won't disparage Architecture in any way. It's always been an honorable profession. Some of the greatest thinkers throughout history have had building in their blood, And I absolutely loved the time I spent designing interesting and fully functional buildings. Sometimes those two goals were at odds. Hence, the problem.

I''d be happy to have you bounce design ideas off me. I may have left Architecture thirty years ago, but I haven't abandoned the analytical mindset.

• Like 1

I’m not a whole lot of help to you out here in WNY. But depending on your town you will probably need an architect to do a complete set of drawings for your house for permit. If I where you my first step in the process would be to stop down at your village/town/city building department and let them know you are looking to build a new home and you are looking for some direction and maybe even a recommendation of a good architect. They would rather help you before the project starts than shut you down in the middle of it because you didn’t do things right. And they know who’s good and who’s bad because they are looking at plans all the time.

After that if you need an architect set an appointment with them just to meet and talk about the project. At this time bring your plans, thoughts, ideas, survey, pictures of houses you like online etc to the meeting. This will help get the ball rolling and the conversation start. Oh also budget, please have a budget in mind. There is a big difference between say a $250k house and a $300k plus house.

After the initial meeting the architect should put together his proposal of what his fees will be and what his scope of work is.

Out here the initial meeting won’t cost you it will only cost you once you accept the proposal. Your area may be different.

The architect can also help you find qualified contractors to build your home if you need a little direction for that as well.

That’s all I can think of for now. If you have any questions let me know I might be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk