US ARMY ADOPTING NEW BATTLE RIFLE

31 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

If he hit expert on his annual qualifier 5 years that IS good. Takes alot of talent to do so. I always hit sharpshooter, but if i had an acog i would be in there like swimwear. We never got to shoot with glass until we deployed. Shooting with the tools WE use as hunters, with high end optics and ideal conditions, however, is a cakewalk.

Not that it means anything in todays world but I qualified expert with three weapons and sharpshooter with two without optics. I never had the privilege of shooting with glass until after the military and  would say that it definitely can improve your accuracy. Everything but my bow and pistols are scoped now. More importantly is learning how to shoot. Once you have that knowledge you can only get better and my hat goes off to all the good shooters of the world. Army, Marines. Airforce, Navy, or anyone that is competent with the weapon of their choice.:hi: Lord knows there are a lot better shooters than me but I usually hit what I shoot at.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

with all due respect to the army and what Chris Kyle done see the army is well has been since the 80's [my time] very specialized even a sniper is . I seen a show I think it was in Bragg where they snipers made[not reloaded] but made their own ammo and it was amazing to see how they had every detail down. My friends son has a law degree and couldn't find a job[partly his fault he thinks w/ the little head instead of the big one my opinion] he joined the army and after basic he became a jag and doesn't know what part of the rifle to put to his shoulder. But see the marines say every marine a rifle man no exceptions. Im in awe what they all did and do carlos hathcock , chris kyle .

52 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Not that it means anything in todays world but I qualified expert with three weapons and sharpshooter with two without optics. I never had the privilege of shooting with glass until after the military and  would say that it definitely can improve your accuracy. Everything but my bow and pistols are scoped now. More importantly is learning how to shoot. Once you have that knowledge you can only get better and my hat goes off to all the good shooters of the world. Army, Marines. Airforce, Navy, or anyone that is competent with the weapon of their choice.:hi: Lord knows there are a lot better shooters than me but I usually hit what I shoot at.

Hats off steve-o! Same here, we deployed and they started passing out optics, i was odd man out. Brand spanking nee M-16A4 with M-203 underneath, iron sights all 18 months i was in country. I love that rifle, still miss it. Made the longest shot in my lifetime with that rifle...

My buddy is a captain in the Army, today the kids dont go to the range if they dont have optics for their M-4. I wonder what they would do if they were in my shoes. I feel like i am getting old...

22 hours ago, Steve D said:

I qualified expert with an M-16 in 1970 when I couldn't see the 300 meter target over my iron sights on the 2nd day of qualifying.  My non-dominant right eye has always been somewhat vision impaired since I was poked in the eye with a stick when I was about 5-6 years old.. It was figgy that day, and although I could see the 300 meter silhouette with both eyes open while not on the sights,  when I closed my left eye to correct the cross dominance, I could no longer see the target through the sights.

100 meters out, there was a branch on a pine tree that had the end just at the top of the 300 meter silhouette. By carefully situating myself, I used that branch for a sight picture knowing my bullet would be several inches high at that distance. I hit every 300 meter target that day.

In 2015,  I used a similar method to kill a buck with my much degraded 65 year old eyes through the iron receiver sight on my Dad's 30/40 Krag. I took the buck facing straight on straight through the windpipe at 120 paced through an opening in some brush. I studied the terrain between myself and the target for several moments, picking out two reference points. One for elevation and one for windage at mid range between myself and the deer. I held between those points and dropped the buck in his tracks.

BTW, the 30/40 Krag was the 1st smokeless powder cartridge adopted by the U S Army. The Krag Jorgensen rifle was the 1st repeater and 1st bolt action adopted by the US Army as the main battle rifle.

7CAO9BZ.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

100 meters out, there was a branch on a pine tree that had the end just at the top of the 300 meter silhouette. By carefully situating myself, I used that branch for a sight picture knowing my bullet would be several inches high at that distance. I hit every 300 meter target that day.

Nice buck...and like I said earlier learning how to shoot is the biggest part of it and it sounds like you have figured it out to the point where you can be successful on a regular basis. Keep up the good shooting:hunter-smiley-face: