Hillsdale College - ?

jmark

As my kids are getting closer to college age (14 and 16), I'm looking around carefully.  The environment on most US college campuses these days is, to my thinking, horrible.  My dad (80) has been a contributor to Hillsdale for years, just because.  I have been, too, for a few years now.  Based in Michigan, it is a college that stresses conservative values, education around the US governmental system, the US Constitution, etc.  A rare kind of college, from what I can see.  Also have lots of (free) tutorials, live stream events or whatever you call them, including sort of "online courses" on the Constitution.  

https://www.hillsdale.edu/academics/free-online-courses/

They send out a monthly called Imprimus, which I get, apparently because I've made modest contributions.  

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/

My question is, anyone know anything about this place?  My daughter is a lefty hippie type, but my son is a very conservative young man.  This might be a good option for him.  But other than their web presence and a few interactions, I really don't know much about it.  Wondering if anyone here does.  

TIA,

jm

As my kids are getting closer to college age (14 and 16), I'm looking around carefully.  The environment on most US college campuses these days is, to my thinking, horrible.  My dad (80) has been a contributor to Hillsdale for years, just because.  I have been, too, for a few years now.  Based in Michigan, it is a college that stresses conservative values, education around the US governmental system, the US Constitution, etc.  A rare kind of college, from what I can see.  Also have lots of (free) tutorials, live stream events or whatever you call them, including sort of "online courses" on the Constitution.  
https://www.hillsdale.edu/academics/free-online-courses/
They send out a monthly called Imprimus, which I get, apparently because I've made modest contributions.  
https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/
My question is, anyone know anything about this place?  My daughter is a lefty hippie type, but my son is a very conservative young man.  This might be a good option for him.  But other than their web presence and a few interactions, I really don't know much about it.  Wondering if anyone here does.  
TIA,
jm

My first question would be why in heck would you contribute to a place you admittedly know nothing about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

My first question would be why in heck would you contribute to a place you admittedly know nothing about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair question.  Perhaps I overstated it - I do know a fair amount about the place.  What I don't have any experience with, is the campus, the feel of the place as a student.  I guess that's more what I was asking about. 

10 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I don't understand why it's the universities place to stress conservative or liberal ideas to the students .  

Well, yeah.  But colleges around the US obviously do.  Some are Christian schools, that stress Christian values.  Quite a few are known to be blatantly left wing and always have been.  These days, most US colleges are very left leaning.  You read constantly about conservatives being treated badly at these schools.  I know my son would not be happy in such a place.  Even our local high school drives him nuts, as the teachers constantly deride conservatives (the day after the 2016 election, the principle came on the intercom and said "today is a very sad day in America").  He has very strong conservative (and Christian) views - these are his own views, he is not adopting those of me or his mother.  So I have in mind at least visiting some of the smaller, openly conservative schools with him, to let him decide.  

• Thanks 1

You might write to the school and ask for some references and testimonials from students and/or parents. From what I understand it's an excellent school that was founded in the mid-1800's, though I have no personal experience with it.

At this point in time with the heavily Liberal public education system, K thru 12, Hillsdale is almost a remedial education. :sorry:

47 minutes ago, philoshop said:

You might write to the school and ask for some references and testimonials from students and/or parents. From what I understand it's an excellent school that was founded in the mid-1800's, though I have no personal experience with it.

At this point in time with the heavily Liberal public education system, K thru 12, Hillsdale is almost a remedial education. :sorry:

Totally agree.  We will likely connect with them this year, and arrange a visit.  

• Like 1