The perfect whitetail round

eagle rider

It was an accident, but the guide was handing me the rifle, instead of having me use the haul line on the blind.  It was a ranch hunt and the guides didn't hunt with rifles, the set us in stands and we waited for deer to travel through.  Some guides won;t loan their rifles due to liability issues.  My experience is that guides have become more weary of liability issues. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still the backup is priceless.  Hey's heres an off kilter question,.... I have a Vanguard that I sent out to have the stock dipped.  The stock looks great but its kind of slick to hold, almost like an uncheckered wood stock would be,..... any advice on how to cure that.  I was thinking about taking a stab at spider webbing it, but I don't know how that might look.  Thoughts????

really, McMillan, I will take a look at them.  I was thinking having the whole finish stripped and then painted OD green with black and red spider webbing.  B&C will do that for like $75, but its a 12 week wait!!!! SO nothing will happen prior to end of the season.

• 1 month later...

LOL that was funny. Its the perfect round and you're right. All of those wildcats that are now legit, ... 25-06 Rem, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 35 Whelen. Cut it down and you get 308 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, and 243 Win. Now add in accelerator loadings,..... geeze. Good thing we won the war or this would all be in the metric system based on 8mm Mauser......

The 30/06 is not the parent cartidge to the .270. Both the 30/06 & the .270 share the same parent cartidge, the 30/03. The .270 has a longer neck like the 30/03 the 06 is a trimmed down 03

To funny!!! :D :D

My Remington 750 carbine 30/06 really spits the 150's out nicely. Would like to try some 125's for the heck of it sometime and see how they group.

Just a thought..... I have a 760(pump) carbine that stacks shots on top of each other with 150gr bullets, but if i drop a few 165gr shells in, its out to a 4-5 inch grouping at 100 yds... If it ain't broke, dont fix it...

Just a thought..... I have a 760(pump) carbine that stacks shots on top of each other with 150gr bullets, but if i drop a few 165gr shells in, its out to a 4-5 inch grouping at 100 yds... If it ain't broke, dont fix it...

Your barrel isnt stabilizing the heavy bullets fast enough

As for perfect deer rifle I don't think there is ONE caliber that is perfect for deer

It depends how you are hunting and where... If your hunting where you will be shooting 500 yard you don't want a 30-30 But if you are hunting thick bush where you wont get a shot over 150 yards you don't want to be carrying a big 30-06 around

This is why everybody needs MANY guns