North Eastern hunting advise..

newbee

looking for some sound advise on Bow hunting in this area. the majority if not all of my experience is in the desert / high desert where Hunting is quite literally redefined... I cant tell you how many hours of glassing canyons, ridges spurs draws and hill sides for deer you spend and then have to plan your stalk when you find them.. despite the hard work it is really enjoyable.  I prefer spot and stalk because of the challenge. however it seems that ambush (stands or blinds) would be the ticket here. any advise would be a great help, and maybe a good thread.. thanks..

Newbee, just a few basics; you need camo and more important is scent control. Wash clothing and self in hunter non scent soaps and use a cover scent. I like earth scent but there are many to pick from. Some claim to just eliminate our smell while others conceal it with a natural smell like apple, pine, earth. Some guys use a cover scent on their boots, most just wear rubber scent eliminator or blocker boots except during the rut when some use doe in heat pee to try to lure bucks to follow their trail. Then you have calls. Doe bleats, buck grunts and rattling antlers. The last two are also for the rut usually. Most of bow season takes place before the rut so you will want to make sure you don't jump the gun. Most important is find where the deer are by locating feeding areas. this will probably be your best shot. Even during the rut if does come in to feed they will draw in bucks. When you find a feeding area which alot of us try to create with food plots. You can't bait deer in NY but you can grow stuff they might want to eat. I guess you'll be hunting public land to start with but if you find places near farms or apple orchards you will probably see more deer. Find the trails they are using which will be obvious from trampled grass and droppings and tracks. Droppings should be fresh or they may have moved on. Last my best advice is to join a club with their own land to hunt on. Sometimes it's better to travel away from your location so close to the city where you'll find larger tracts of land and lower dues. Other clubs are local but own land further up where they hunt. If you hurry on this last suggestion you can be in for this season. Good luck.

Sounds very similar, with the exception of glassing all day. I am sure that eastern cousins travel the same terrain features. they all need to eat and drink ;) . its funny I am looking into possibly joining a club. and it sounds like it might be the thing to do. thanks, i appreciate all the input