range trip today

I went to the range today with a couple rifles. My model 99 300 savage and my encore 25-06.  I switched scopes on the savage, and wanted to dial it in.  By the time I was finished, I was very happy.  I am going to try to attach a picture of the gun and target at 100 yards. The strays was getting it dialed in with the new scope.  The big hole at the top of the bullseye is 8 shots consecutively off the bench. This was my dad's only deer rifle. He bought it brand new in 1947.  It is now one of my cherished pesessions.  I load for it and I use 150 grain Hornady boat tails and 40 grains fo IMR 4895.  My encore was another story.  It was all over the place.  I brought it home and tore it all apart cleaned and put it back together. 

post-349-131455471951_thumb.jpg

post-349-131455471973_thumb.jpg

post-349-131455472005_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I took by far the best buck lasy tear with the 25-06 with 115 grain nosler partitions. The buck was an 8 point 200 pound deer. Entrance and exit through the ribs. The bullet oblitereted the lungs and the deer rand 20 yards tops. I would recommend it whole heartedly with a controlled expansion bullet. It is my go to centerfire when I decide not to use the muzzleloader. Bad parts of the 25 is availability of factory rounds. Not as common or easy to find ad 270 or 30-06. I reload, so I build what I want. Low recoil hard hitting flat shooting and devastating is how I would describe it.