Meat or bone

greensider

both... early season i usually hunt in scouting mode glassing from a distance but there's always doe around. if one presents a shot i'll take it if i have time to process it.  also allows me to recover it without leaving evidence of my presence where i think deer of interest are. i've double lunged a doe for meat, while glassing and formulating a plan to move in on a patterned buck. moved in to the higher traffic spot the very next say and tagged a good buck.

i think famous tv personality hunters like Drurys do this but only on a larger scale with more space. they have certain parts of a property they use to take doe with bow only. then spots with denser cover and more conducive of rutting activity are saved for the rut. 

On 10/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, 518BowSlayer said:

Wouldn't hesitate on a bear either

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

i just spoke with a DEC biologist for my area. her and her boss (region 4 biologist) encourage me to shoot one if given the chance. not sure though. don't have many in my area. might end up watching it and letting the opportunity pass by. lol