Oak trees in food plot.

Looking for a little advice regarding some small woodland plots i started this year.

Both going to be between 1/4 to 1/2 acre when done but the problem im having is that i am going to have to cut some nice sized oaks if i want the plot to be completely tree free. Both get very decent sun light but not 100% full sun.

Both plots are located where they are on the property due to previous logging in the area giving me a head start on the tree clearing, space on property and distance from fenceline.

Question is how much a difference will leaving these oaks in plot affect growth of whats planted underneath. The canopy on the oaks starts almost at the top of the tree (not all the way down) and isnt very wide.

These arent the only oaks on the property (we have a ton of oaks that produce acorns) and considering that we only have 32 acres i was considering leaving them in as i want to try and make the property as much of a grocery store as ppossible for the deer.

Thanks

The two photos are from trail cam but only show a small portion of plot...These photos were also taken early in summer with some buckwheat growing that i threw around...since then plot was cleaned up better of ground debris and disced and planted with Green Patch Plus .

post-374-0-41549000-1314873952_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-08531200-1314873974_thumb.jpg

What do you plan on planting? If just clover, there are some varieties of clover (ie Durana) that don't require a lot of direct sun or maintenance. I don't know the sun requirements of some of that throw-and-grow stuff, but you may be able to get away with using some of that also. If you have a lot of other oaks on the property, it's not going to hurt to take a few out in the plot, to allow you to play around with foodplots.

I don't have any oaks around in the ~mile square where I hunt, so it pains me to think about cutting any oaks! LOL I would absolutely LOVE to have some around, so its tough for me to say to go a head and cut a few of yours! I planted a few sawtooth oaks, gobbler sawtooth oaks, and chinese chestnuts just to have some hard mast for the deer and turkeys. I would gladly trade you some foodplots for some acorn producing oaks anyday!! LOL

There are a lot of things that will grow in partial shade, i'd fertalize the oaks, and plant some shade resistant clover, biggest problem you'll have is leaves smothering whatever you plant. if you arn't opposed to raking in the spring it will be a great spot!

Ditto for what everyone else has said. You'd be better off thinning undesirable trees around the edges. The oaks won't block that much sun. Also- is the plot oriented N/S or E/W? An E/W oriented plot will get a lot more sun during the day than a N/S plot. Check your soil PH too. Thats as important as anything.

Edited by sampotter

if the canopy is higher up...you need to figure out the angle of the sun as it travels across the area....now that sounds simple enough BUT not...... for that angle changes and there is a big difference between spring and fall...that begs the question of are you planning spring/fall annuals...which would IMO be best to start with...or perennial planting?...

What side of the plot are those trees in? more the sun side ...middle or toward the back....I'd start trimming the trees on the leading sun side to start...leave the Oaks until you get a better grasp of the area....PS buck wheat is always a great deer draw....thought of trying oats or annual clover /rye for now?

After seeing how the deer are using / eating what little growth that has come up ultimately it will be a fall plot. I have some perenial clover / chicory in the plot (first year) so i will have to see how it does this spring.

I took into consideration the direction of the plot to get as much sun and i am trying to cut back the surrounding trees (mostly beech) so that it gets as much sun as possible.

I think im gonna keep the trees as the property is only 32 acres and i want it to be as much of a super market for the deer as poossible come fall. I started to put in the plots cuz in the past once the acorns were gone deer sighting dropped significatnly as we only have 32 acres.

The trail cam i put up and the photos i got really have given me the food plot bug because i can clearly see at least 7 if not 8 different deer using the plot from the pics.

thanks for the advice and i will let you guys know how it goes this year.

one thing I can't stress enough....when cutting beech you have to drill and put down a stump root killer...Beech are a surface rooter and they sucker off those many feet of root BIG TIME after being cut....also you will want to leave some mature beech especially if you turkey hunt........ but deer love them too and ...on our place...when the oaks don't have much...the beech usually do and vise/versa...have fun and good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry i got into this post kinda late but i sure hope you saved those oak trees. I dont care how many you have on your property unless they are to the point where you can have them logged for some income. Even the beech would be hard for me to take a saw to if they are healthy and producing nuts. That being said i think i would take everything out that you can and then do like growalot suggested and go with an annual. You mentioned a perrenial clover/chicory mix which is one of my favorite combos in the right soil but looking at the pictures it might not thrive for you. In general , they like a heavy soil that holds it's moisture and your plot looks to be on a slope. If that combo does not work, don't be discouraged or blame it on the lack of sunlight. I think you might have to experiment a bit with the annuals but i'm pretty confident you will find one for that spot. I've had great luck with Secret Spot on my hunting properties in areas that look even shadier than yours. P.S. Get the soil right or nothing will grow. The sunlight already has you at a disadvantage so you need to do everything else right.