For those of you that have really good hunting big bucks !! On your land ,Was it like that from the start or did you have to work on it , manage the land for that purpose.

Hunter007

I think it's hard to answer, some places just have the right soils, right genetics and habitat, and naturally it's a good area to produce nice deer yr after yr. I hunted a property like this fairly early in my hunting days and yr after yr there were multiple and multiple big bucks cruising the property.

Now a days the property I have doesn't have the best soil..... so you have to work for it, food plots, habitat improvements..... and maybe even some help from your neighbors letting smaller bucks go.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say my property is loaded with big bucks but there are a few. I haven't done any land management on it as it's just a small piece, only 13 acres then when I subtract home, pool, and yard huntable property is probably about 10. Although there are two specific thick bedding areas that I leave as sanctuary and only go into them if I have to track a hit deer into them. The buck I shot yesterday was actually checking one of the bedding areas for does about 100-120 yds from my stand. I couldn't see him but I heard him grunting while in there. I tossed out 2 doe estrous bleats and within 30 seconds he came down presenting a 35yd shot. The wooded area also has a creek and a pond on it that seems to attract the deer. That thick bedding area borders the east side of the pond. I have been toying with the idea of thinning some of the trees to let in some more sunlight to gain back some of the ground cover/brush that has lessened quite a bit over the years...I've owned the property for about 23yrs now and a lot of the trees have matured. Plus I've been seriously thinking of trying to add a couple small food plots in a couple areas.

• Like 1

Had 2 tracts of 100 acres that I "managed". Neither held big bucks, and there was plenty of work involved to keep the big boys around. Actually, the most important key to it all, is the easiest of all things...... STAY OUT. Sanctuary's keep big bucks around, even more than food, or water, or does.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk