Firet food plot in Catt county

Hey all. Getting a plan and supplies together for my first food plot. Any advice greatly appreciated. Here is the plan. Starting small {1/2 acre give or take to start} No heavy equipment access. Soil test done so i know amounts of lime and fertilizer. Pretty heavily wooded area. Hoping to cut trees over a winter thaw. Thinking of renting small dozer to move stumps and debris. Spread lime and fertilizer in spring. Looking at pull behind spreaders for quad. Spray 2 or 3 times for weeds over summer for a fall plant. As for what to plant. Since the property is an hour away from home, looking for something a little lower maintenance. The original plan was to maybe run half a dozen fruit trees down the middle {caged of coarse] and then white clover all around. Fruit trees would go in the spring but not sure how that would work out with the lime and fertilizer. Clover would go late August early September Maybe with a cover crop? Not sure on that one. So any hints or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. 

First i would  plant the fruit trees off to one side , not down the middle. If you plan on turning that ground in the future and plant those trees down the middle you run the risk of pulling/cutting their roots. Also makes it easier to mow the plot, if trees are off to one side. For a 1/2 acre i would not even bother with a pull behind, get a five gallon bucket, use pelletized lime and spread by hand, same with the fertilizer. I have plots in the 1/2 acre range and larger and have spread lime and fertilizer all by hand, doesnt take long at all. Downside to having such a small plot in a predominantly wooded area is that you run the risk of the plot getting wiped out befote they can even  establish. Think about putting in a cover crop like Pasja turnips, which rebound and can hold up to heavy browsing while also  protecting the clover (go with a ladino white clover). I agree renting a dozer or having someone come in to take out all the debris and stumps will make for a much better plot, just ensure that your topsoil is put to the side and resurfaced once all is done. You want to minimize your topsoil loss. Hope this helps.

4 minutes ago, buffalojim said:

Very helpful and makes sense with the fruit trees. 25 bags of lime with a bucket won't be fun but I guess its doable. Thanks

I spread 3,000lbs of pelletized lime on a plot once, we used an atv with a small tow behind wagon, one guy driving the atv and 2 guys with shovels . Goes real fast.

With the bags of lime, i first lay out the bags  around the plot, then open fill bucket half way and throw. Goes alot faster if you strategically place the bags down in the plot first. 

• Like 1