boresight or paper target ?

Oh....I read the laser dot and thought it was a chambered cartridge styl like i use. I opted for that type because I don't like any metal in contact with my rifling or crown that isn't a bullet.

Funny, but I was thinking the same about pushing in a metal rod into the barrel when I was reading this thread.  I know a lot of shooters are hung up on being careful not to damage the crowns and rifling with cleaning rods and such, yet have no problem sticking and jimmying in a boresighting rod to get their guns to shoot straight without wasting too much ammo.  Kind of doesn't make sense.  I inherited a rifle from my late uncle that looks like he put a file to the crown.  It was a bolt action yet he cleaned it with a cheap rod from the front end.  Man, he did a number on that crown, but the gun still shoots darn good, so I don't know how much one needs to worry about putting a nick into it.  It's not like bullets sizzling out of the barrel are any less kind to it either.

I don't know Steve....probably just what my father beat into my head growing up....clean from the back and never but anything down the barrel that was metal. Always used fiberglass rods or strings (way b4 snake bore cleaners) He use to tell me "treat that last inch of the barrel like gold...It is the last thing to touch the bulet until the deer"