Public Land Lesson

cbx46

Better read again you can leave stands on stateland as long as it doesnt hurt a tree. As far as game cameras go im not sure, it states not to litter carry out what you carry in and i don't think game cameras are considered litter. Have not found anything that specifically mentions them. Not that I would suggest leaving anything on public property. Some people take the public part to the extreme and may take it home with them.

w. No person shall erect, construct, install, maintain, store, discard or abandon any structure or any other property on State lands or subsequently use such structure or property on State lands, except if the structure or property is authorized by the department or is:

1. a geocache that is labeled with the owner's name and address and installed in a manner that does not disturb the natural conditions of the site or injure a tree;

2. a camping structure or equipment that is placed and used legally pursuant to this Part;

3. a legally placed trap or appurtenance that is placed and used during trapping season;

4. a tree stand or hunting blind that does not injure a tree, is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season; or

5. a wildlife viewing blind or stand that is placed for a duration not to exceed thirty (30) days in one location per calendar year, does not injure a tree, and is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number.

x. On State lands, no person shall erect, construct, occupy or maintain any structure that is affixed to a tree by nails, screws or other means that injure or damage the tree except as otherwise authorized by the department.

y. No person shall erect, construct, maintain, occupy or use any tree stand that is used, operated, accessed or reached by methods or means which injure or damage a tree on State lands, and no person shall gain access to any structure in a tree on State lands by means that injure or damage the tree.

z. No person shall drive a trailer or motor vehicle, including the wheels thereof, into a body of water to launch or retrieve a vessel on State lands which the department has posted or designated as closed to trailer launching of boats.

aa. The Commissioner may prohibit campfires or the use of liquid or gaseous fuel camping stoves or lamps on State lands during periods of high fire danger.

bb. No person shall possess breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons, on State lands and no person shall target shoot at breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons and glass containers, on State lands. Unless legally engaged in the act of hunting, no person shall discharge firearms on State lands posted or designated as closed to target shooting.

Edited by erussell

I stand corrected on the trail cam post I made above. I made an assumption based on the simple road side signs that say I cannot use permanent structures or leave my treestands out past the season.

Here is a link to what I found. It opens a PDF file. do a find on Trail Cam to get the correct paragraph.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administration_pdf/deceo25summary.pdf

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say that I am also a LI hunter and have experienced the same BS. At this point, when I hang a stand, number 1, its the cheapest stand I can get my hands on. and Number 2, I try to camo the heck out it with availalble brush. At the rate stands get stolen, I would never even think about using a trail cam. My stands are $40 at Dicks and people steal them. I would imagine a trail cam would be ripped off before I even got back to my truck. As hunters on LI, we have to "look past" so much nonsense that it can be difficult to even enjoy what you are doing. I actually gave up bowhunting the island for two years after I had a "hell" season of Antis leaving notes on my car, other hunters threatening my car tires if my car showed up there again, a stolen stand opening morning, etc. BUT, I've since come back to it, with a very different attitude and have been able to enjoy my time in the woods.

I'd love to believe that hunters have a set of morals that are better than the average person. But, in my experience, on long island anyway, this is not so. That said, its still to our benefit to treat each and every "other" hunter we come across with respect until he gives us reason not to. I'll go so far as to allow other guys to hunt my stand if I;m not there. I don't own the woods, and this is long Island, if they guy moves 100 yards away....theres probably another stand there!

That is interesting ERUSSELL and thanks for posting. The DEC once again contradicts itself. Heres what I was going on. Wouldnt a stand be considered personal property? I guess this is one of those grey lines once again. How do they expect us to keep up with all this? Great find by the way.

WMAs have specific use regulations in addition to the general use regulations for state land. Hunting, trapping, and fishing are permitted, except as specifically restricted by posted notice.

On wildlife management areas, it is unlawful to:

• Camp without written permission
  • Travel off-road by use of motorcycles, motor scooters, mopeds, trail bikes, snowmobiles or any other motorized vehicle, except as specifically allowed by a permit or posted notice
  • Remove, cut or willfully damage or destroy living vegetation of any kind
  • Construct or place a permanent structure, blind, stand or platform (includes placement of nails or other hardware into trees)
  • Leave any personal property at the time of leaving the area
  • Enter upon property posted with No Trespassing signs, except with written permission from DEC

Edited by wdswtr

• 2 weeks later...

Public or private. I have had so many stands stolen. I use a climber exclusively now. I gave up on cameras and just scout the good old fashioned way. Looking for sign, putting the time in and a pair of binoculars. I will regularly go into some of my spots prior to the season. Go up a tree in my climber and just watch whats going on. Or I'll setup by some of the Oaks that are first to drop acorns and wait for the deer to show up. It;s a great way to get a good count of the herd. in the area.

I really like the idea of the sign.

But one other thing you could do if you insist on using a hang on or ladder stand is to use a large , heavy lag bolt to actually bolt your cam or stand to the tree. By hand you'll need a hammer to start it and a ratchet to set it. Or you could use a cordless impact drill. Stand thieves don't carry those kind of tools.

Not to change this topic off thread but isnt it illegal to leave anything you brought into the woods with you on public land? Cameras included.

i totally agree. the rangers in my area will be have a big yard sale soon, to sell the trail cams and treestands removed form public land this summer. they also donated a lot education course around the area.