Camera to film hunt

Im interested in buying a camera that I can use to film my hunt when hunting alone. I'm not interested in the ones that mount to your bow/shotgun/etc....so I guess that really only leaves me with the ones that attach to your hat? but the problem with the hat ones, is that when you shoot through a scope on a gun or crossbow, then the camera isnt taping the animal, because your hand is angled to look through the scope right? what are my options?

I think the problem with a lot of those types of camera's is the video quality is crap. I thinking of getting a camera arm to attach to the tree, and then I can use any video cam.

But how do you make look left/right, etc....how do you carry it when tracking your deer, etc?

I think the problem with a lot of those types of camera's is the video quality is crap. I thinking of getting a camera arm to attach to the tree, and then I can use any video cam.

I agree. I have a Toshiba pocket HD camera with LCD screen. I am going to buy a tree arm and attach it. I've tried attaching to my bow and to my rifle/shotgun but it really never points in the direction you want it to. I also have an older JVC camcorder which I'm going to attach to my gun rail. This way I'll have two angles - one facing the field and one facing me to get my reaction. B)

I just got the 3rd arm mini xl for filming second angles and for when i am by myself. I got the tbolt model that comes with a screw in t-bolt that you screw into the tree and then slide the arm on. I have tested it out and it seems like its going to be a great arm for when i am filming by myself. I also got the attachment that connects to my climber so its always on there and when i climb up i just slide the arm on and im ready to go. It folds up real small and its light as can be. I will be using it with my canon hf200. here is a link to the site if you want to check it out.

http://www.the3rdarm.com/products.htm#minixl

John

you can mount it on your chest or head, they have different accessories and i believe you just hit a button and it will start recording. If you get the head strap wherever you look it will record. They have the naked hero which is HD and they have the 960p camera which is a little bit cheaper.

Heres the response I got from RHINO.

The lid cam has a power button that you simply reach up and press to power the unit on. After a few seconds, press the record button and you are filming

The angle of the lens is manually rotated by touch by you. 30 degrees usually is what fits shooting a firearm

The cold weather obviously effect the battery. We fully expect it to still last at least a couple of hours in those kinds of temperatures.

If I can answer any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

Darryl Jolly

Rhino Outdoors

864-814-1080 office

864-590-9225 cell

864-814-1081 fax

www.rhinoutdoors.com

Whenever I wear a baseball cap, the bill always touches the top of the scope. I always end up turning the hat around and wear it backwards when I'm about to shoot. Maybe that's just me. Otherwise I would totally check out the lid cam.

Elmo, Funny you said that, i usually do the same thing (turn my hat around) just before the shot. I bought a minicam that you can attach to your bow, stand or lid last year. While in my stand, I had this minicam attached to the lid of my hat on a screw similar to a tripod mount. But I didn't turn my hat around hoping to capture the shot. Well during my attempt to shoot at a coyote that was about 30 yds from my stand, I found out after shooting that the cam somehow got loose and turned around on its own just before i took the shot. I had some great film of the tree i was standing in. I vowed never to put it on my lid again. :slow:

jmasiakos, I stumbled on the bowfinger while searching the web. It's only $30 for the bowfinger original version. I don't want to invest a lot into filming my hunts just yet. I don't have a camcorder but I figure I already have a pocket digital camera that has video capabilities on it that I can attach to it. Not the best of quality but if it works out then maybe I'll buy a small camcorder to attach to it in the future. If not, well I would have only wasted $30.

http://www.bowfingerarchery.com/

jmasiakos, I stumbled on the bowfinger while searching the web. It's only $30 for the bowfinger original version. I don't want to invest a lot into filming my hunts just yet. I don't have a camcorder but I figure I already have a pocket digital camera that has video capabilities on it that I can attach to it. Not the best of quality but if it works out then maybe I'll buy a small camcorder to attach to it in the future. If not, well I would have only wasted $30.

http://www.bowfingerarchery.com/

Thanks Elmo. Looks interesting. Wonder how much weight it adds to the bow though? And now that I found out that Bowmounted rangefinder is legal in NY I don't want too much weight on it.

Edited by jmasiakos