EAB Quarantine - Firewood Warning

Fantail

This is from the DEC, noticed an ad placement in Outdoor News:

• It is illegal to bring untreated firewood into NYS
  • It is illegal to transport untreated firewood over 50 miles from it's source.
  • When transporting untreated firewood within it's source, you must carry proof of source or you may be subject to a fine.
  • As of July `11, 18 counties in NYS are under EAB Quarantine, which further restricts firewood transport.

www.dec.ny.gov "firewood"

I dont agree with this law. Its Big business (government) that brought this unstoppable problem into our country, now they tell people you cant transport firewood from certain distances. Even if you own the land?? this is crap, some people depend on this wood to get through the winter. This is more like a communist country everyday.

Weve been burning wood all of my life we do not buy or transport that far we get ours from the roadside.It is interesting to find this info we cannot transport whole logs but DEC say that woodchips are not covered by there laws.I ask why the process of chipping can not kill all BUGS with the price of fuel im glad we have a woodburning stove I guess I was braught up the old way hunt/fish and live off the land

its easy to get around..haul 4' pieces home and cut it there.. its considered a saw log and therefore the ban doesn't apply.. go to ohio west of cleveland there are entire hedgerows and blocks of timber dead..and they have a no ash wood or ash wood products ban 2000$ fine for crossing a county line with it.. the bug is here and were not going to get rid of it..thank all the imports from china and the packing material...

We didnt have any problem until Our jobs were sent to other countrys now we the true Americans have to deal with all this mess we need to take back our land just like the Indians Washinton D/C dont see nothing but $$$$$$$ers so we need to come together and take back what our familys worked for our Freedom and Justice My oppion the hell with other countries lets save ours

I heard the fines are $250 a face cord...not sure if that is bgus but it came from a police officer I know. I am glad we can cut any downed tree to burn at camp. we put up 3 face cord of wood this last weekend...2 of it ash and it split like butter with the splitting axe.

There are know set fines that i know of.

Weve been burning wood all of my life we do not buy or transport that far we get ours from the roadside.It is interesting to find this info we cannot transport whole logs but DEC say that woodchips are not covered by there laws.I ask why the process of chipping can not kill all BUGS with the price of fuel im glad we have a woodburning stove I guess I was braught up the old way hunt/fish and live off the land

The standard for removing chips from the quarantine is "less than a inch in two dimensions". When a log is processed at a mill it is de-barked first which will eliminate almost all if not all of the insect larvae (they are phloem feeders). EAB makes a "J" hook into the sapwood to pupate but it will not be able to complete pupation if it is chipped to the above size because it will die of dessication.

its easy to get around..haul 4' pieces home and cut it there.. its considered a saw log and therefore the ban doesn't apply.. go to ohio west of cleveland there are entire hedgerows and blocks of timber dead..and they have a no ash wood or ash wood products ban 2000$ fine for crossing a county line with it.. the bug is here and were not going to get rid of it..thank all the imports from china and the packing material...

Not exactly. You might want to check with a ECO before trying it. I have heard it stated that if a tri-axle is delivered to a residence and the intended use is firewood (even if they are 20 foot sticks) they are in violation of the 50 mile rule because the intended use is firewood.

And yes there isn't much left in Ohio or Michigan. Livonia Michigan (ground zero) is to the point where you can not ID a ash anymore. The only remnants of ash i could find while out there this spring where 40 inch but logs with galleries - nothing that was alive or even dead unless it was larger diameter stuff that hadn't completely decayed yet.

This ban has been in effect for quite a few years now. I cant confirm this but the local building inspector told me it was also illegal to transport rough sawn lumber more than 50 miles unless it has been Kiln dried. Heck the last time I took the kids to old forge about 6 years ago they had signs up with posted warnings about the illegal transfer of firewood over 50 miles. They took good advantage of that and made it so you could not bring in any wood you had to buy it from them only. EAB is nothing to passed aside. Neither is the ALB. It is devastating our forest and landscape.