Turkey harvest dates and map

growalot

Do any of you know the last time the DEC updated the turkey harvest maps.....with the ever increasing numbers of turkey across the entire state I have to wonder way central/western NY still has a late Oct. start to the hunting and 1 bird verses much of the rest of the state has an Oct1 opener and 2 bird harvest for the fall

Thanks for the info...those numbers are crazy when looking from 2001-2010....It.... in my eyes..... reflects a distinct reduction of hunter #'s more over than a view of turkey #'s......I drove the tractor up on 17 turkey yesterday,,,that's more than and half of what some entire counties had listed as turkey harvest for last years fall season....guys too busy bow hunting?...or ppl just don't like dealing with the sending leg in to report?...Our daughter has friends out in the Ithaca area ...think I might take up an offer to hunt...she says driving to work is like being in a pinball game ..her being a bumper the turkey the steel ball ;)

If you go on "Turkey Harvest" on the bottom of that page, go to Turkey Management link. It explains in detail about each part of the state. It's nice to see good numbers in your part of the state. Our NW part of the state just doesn't have good numbers of turkey, and the harvest data supports that. The season starts here on the second week of bow season, and most of the archers, I know, get turkey tags. I won't harvest a hen or jakes , figuring the numbers might rise. About 50% of those archers will take a turkey, like wise with deer, given the chance.The DEC should close fall hen harvest here, to get numbers up. With the Spring we had this year, those numbers will. no doubt, fall more.

I've asked this question for years, the reply i got was the numbers of turkey tags sold in wny vs the popullation of turkey. they do not know how many hunters specfically hunt fall bird only hte number of turkey tags bought, tho many are bought as package or as if i see one bow hunting.. the dec must consider every tag bought as a fall and spring hunter.. so wny and much of central is a 1 bird area...hunter population ...