Needed to provide DOB to purchase liquid wrench

mowin

16 hours ago, Belo said:

i dont know why we care so much about what stupid people do. But that's a liberal society for you, ruin shit for everyone else trying to protect the stupid. Let em huff paint, more jobs for my kids. 

One man's opinion, I know, but anything that might save a kid from doing something stupid and dangerous is worthwhile. You're never going to keep 100% of them from doing that stuff, but if it saves one kid from burning brain cells, turning to harder drugs, and then getting other kids hooked, then I'm happy to take the literally 2 seconds it takes to recite my birthday. I don't know about you, but that doesn't "ruin" anything for me.

I don't think there's anything "liberal" about it, just trying to keep minors who lack fully developed brains, from making life-altering decisions.

Just to add, all parents swear "that will never be my kid" until it is their kid....

Edited by Splitear_Leland

1 hour ago, Splitear_Leland said:

One man's opinion, I know, but anything that might save a kid from doing something stupid and dangerous is worthwhile. You're never going to keep 100% of them from doing that stuff, but if it saves one kid from burning brain cells, turning to harder drugs, and then getting other kids hooked, then I'm happy to take the literally 2 seconds it takes to recite my birthday. I don't know about you, but that doesn't "ruin" anything for me.

I don't think there's anything "liberal" about it, just trying to keep minors who lack fully developed brains, from making life-altering decisions.

Just to add, all parents swear "that will never be my kid" until it is their kid....

By liberal, I mean that liberals are generally geared towards more oversight, the nanny state and bigger government. I'm more libertarian and with the exception of smart common sense laws and general law and order I prefer the gov't stay the F out of my business.

I respect your opinion on saving a kids life, but I would respectfully disagree. I drank beer and smoked a lot of weed as a kid, I did some dumb things but I was also raised pretty well and never thought about taking it further than that or doing something all kids know is very dangerous. I'm not inconvenienced to the point where I would make a stink about it, but generally speaking if a kid is at the point where he or she will huff a toxic gas to escape reality for a few seconds, there are much bigger issues at play with their mental health. We're not addressing the root cause by making it hard for them to gain access to aerosols. The root cause is their mental health and we should focus our efforts on that. 

41 minutes ago, Belo said:

By liberal, I mean that liberals are generally geared towards more oversight, the nanny state and bigger government. I'm more libertarian and with the exception of smart common sense laws and general law and order I prefer the gov't stay the F out of my business.

I respect your opinion on saving a kids life, but I would respectfully disagree. I drank beer and smoked a lot of weed as a kid, I did some dumb things but I was also raised pretty well and never thought about taking it further than that or doing something all kids know is very dangerous. I'm not inconvenienced to the point where I would make a stink about it, but generally speaking if a kid is at the point where he or she will huff a toxic gas to escape reality for a few seconds, there are much bigger issues at play with their mental health. We're not addressing the root cause by making it hard for them to gain access to aerosols. The root cause is their mental health and we should focus our efforts on that. 

We can agree that there are many deeper issues that need to be addressed, and I really hope that we could figure out the way to provide resources to people who don't have access to them, but are in need of them. I've been blessed with what I would consider a privileged life, but I know that others aren't able to say that, and it's not just based on material resources. I was blessed with a loving family, and though we didn't have much, we had enough. That said, I'm the only one of my siblings who hasn't at one time of their life been addicted to methamphetamine. They had the same raising I did, but either developed a different social group, or are struggling with mental illness.

We'll just agree to disagree on the "nanny state" issues, as I do with my other Libertarian friends. I see your points as valid, but still hold my own :)

20 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

We can agree that there are many deeper issues that need to be addressed, and I really hope that we could figure out the way to provide resources to people who don't have access to them, but are in need of them. I've been blessed with what I would consider a privileged life, but I know that others aren't able to say that, and it's not just based on material resources. I was blessed with a loving family, and though we didn't have much, we had enough. That said, I'm the only one of my siblings who hasn't at one time of their life been addicted to methamphetamine. They had the same raising I did, but either developed a different social group, or are struggling with mental illness.

We'll just agree to disagree on the "nanny state" issues, as I do with my other Libertarian friends. I see your points as valid, but still hold my own :)

and they say people with different viewpoints can't have a civil discussion haha.

I'll add that despite my right leaning views, I am a huge proponent of fixing our healthcare system. Maybe not medicare for all, but something close. Gun rights advocates are typically right leaning and also opposed to fixing our health care system. It's one of, if not the most hypocritical stance they take in my opinion and infuriates me. You rally against blaming the gun, but then refuse to put in effort to treat what we all agree is the root cause, mental health. Meanwhile the left wants no guns and health care. Why is it so hard to see the middle ground?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

and they say people with different viewpoints can't have a civil discussion haha.

I'll add that despite my right leaning views, I am a huge proponent of fixing our healthcare system. Maybe not medicare for all, but something close. Gun rights advocates are typically right leaning and also opposed to fixing our health care system. It's one of, if not the most hypocritical stance they take in my opinion and infuriates me. You rally against blaming the gun, but then refuse to put in effort to treat what we all agree is the root cause, mental health. Meanwhile the left wants no guns and health care. Why is it so hard to see the middle ground?

It's simple, it's because it's much more popular to attack what we disagree about rather than find what we agree on. 

That is how politicians get elected these days, not by bringing opposing viewpoints together, but uniting like minds against a common "enemy", even if that "enemy" is your fellow countryman.

Edited by Splitear_Leland
  • Like 1