Want to start reloading, don't know where to start

Hey guys, I was thinking about starting to reload ammo, but I am completely new to the subject. I don't even know anyone who reloads... How hard is it to start out? how would I start out? and is it "dangerous"? I want to get a more accurate load and save some money, so I really wanna start reloading.

Hey guys, I was thinking about starting to reload ammo, but I am completely new to the subject. I don't even know anyone who reloads... How hard is it to start out? how would I start out? and is it "dangerous"? I want to get a more accurate load and save some money, so I really wanna start reloading.

I hate to see people start reloading without at least a few sessions with an experienced loader along side. Is it dangerous? ..... Yes it can be. There are mistakes that can be made that can have disasterous effects. There is a whole lot of info and instructions available in print, and given the right interpretation of what you are reading, and following instructions and procedures exactly makes reloading perfectly safe. However, misreading one crucial thing, or not interpreting one critical procedure can cause serious personal injury and heavy-duty gun damage and expensive damage to reloading equipment.

So I don't know how many self-taught people we have here (probably a lot of guys with nicknames like Patch-eye, Blinky and Stubs ...lol), but for me, I am sure that I would have screwed up badly somewhere through the process if I had not had my Brother-in-law sitting right at my side describing each step, stopping me when I did something wrong, and warning me about certain parts of the procedure that are little traps. Also, he provided assistance with purchasing the proper equipment and probably saved me a whole pile of money.

So, my recommendation if you absolutely don't know anybody that's into reloading and willing to give you a hand would be to first join a Rod & Gun club or something of that nature that is full of helpful, experienced, people and see if you can get some one-on-one help.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a reloading manual, Sierra, Lyman, etc. Read it and see what you think. If you're a detail kind of person with some mechanical aptitude, I think you'll be able to figure out how much help you need, if any.

As Doc mentioned there are some details that you need to understand. Things like the signs of excess pressure to watch for as you work up a new load, but that will all be spelled out in the manual, with pictures.

Buy your gear and components (powder, bullets, etc.) locally so that you can ask questions at the shop to make sure you're matching up the proper components. Ask if they know anyone that might be willing to show you the ropes. Consider joining a local gun club and meet like minded individuals.

It really isn't that hard. Just stick to the rules, no short cuts.

I bought a couple of the Lyman reloading books are read them both a couple times before starting to reload . Didn't have anyone to show me anything . I have reloaded for 223 , 7-30 waters , 270 , 25-06 and 44 mag . So far I have all my fingers and both eyes . I try to be extremely careful . The books were very helpful !